Uke Gig Bags with backpack straps?

maikii

Reaction score
A gig bag should include different options for carrying it--handle, shoulder strap (those two are pretty much universal), and IMO also shoujld have backpack straps. I don't know if I would use that last option much, but would like to have the option available, as it could come in handy in particular situations.

It does not look like that third option is very handy, unfortunately. I was just looking at the gig bags on Elderly.com, and I only see oen there, that says in its description that it has backpack straps-the Fusion Gig Bags.

Are there others that have them, but it is not listed in the online catalog description, or is not available at Elderly.com, but is through other vendors?

For instance, also at Elderly, one can see the Orcas gig bags. In general it looks like a better bag than the Fusion, for a little less money. It has 20mm padding, while the Fusion only has 10mm. However, not only do I see no mention of backpack straps in the description, but not even a shoulder strap. I assume it has the latter, as that is pretty universal, but does it have backpack straps?

Or the Rockbag Student Line. Back to 10mm padding, but at a much lower price. No mention of backpack straps, but it does say "2 removable straps with metal hooks". I cannot imagine any use for 2 shoulder straps, so does that mean backpack straps? (Of course I would like a shoulder strap (at least the connectors for one) as well though.) That bag has no accessory pocket though. That Student Line are the only uke big bags from Rockbag that I see on Elderly, but are there other lines?

I would appreciate any info on uke gig bags that have backpack straps, as well as a shoulder strap (or ate least connectors for one). Thank you.

THIS is my favorite. I have it in green. Fits my tenor perfect.

I like gig bags for around the house to keep the dust off and minor bumps and stuff..wouldn't feel to safe far from home....thanks for sharing, Happy Strummings..MM Stan

I got one of the Vineyard H2O bags with my Ohana SK-38 from Mike at Uke Republic http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/vineyard-h2o-resistant-uke-bag-soprano. It worked very well as a backpack, but I ended up selling it along with a uke to a coworker. I will probably buy another one so that I have the option when I want to carry uke with me and be able to go "hands-free".

For the past two or three months I've been sewing mock-ups of different ideas for ukulele gig bags, so this is a good suggestion to hear for future bags. I'd be really interested in hearing from everyone what you'd like to see in a gig bag/how you like to use them.

I loved the one you posted a pic of with the "sock" for the neck!

I have the concert size Fusion gig bag and love it. It holds two ukes at one time, mine can hold a concert and a soprano in the smaller pocket. I had to order from the UK via ebay, but didnt have any problems.

I have this Leolani Gig case for my tenor, its a very good backpack style gig bag. You can move around the peaces inside to fit to your uke and I like that you can hide the straps if you wanna hold it by the handle that way the shoulder straps dont dangle.

Leolani-Tenor-Case-21_355.jpg

I got it from http://www.theukulelesite.com/

Last edited:
I loved the one you posted a pic of with the "sock" for the neck!

Thanks Maiyah! I've been trying to work on some newer ones. I sewed a bag in the same style but it holds the entire ukulele, and I want to work on something stiffer that has more padding.

Do the kids in your ukulele class have bags for their ukuleles? I know my dolphin came with a cheap one that's falling apart.

I've picked up a couple of gigbags with backpack straps, one from Dangleberry Music on eBay and it's pretty sturdy, gives me the option to wear it if I need/want to..

Good Luck with your search!

Levy makes a really nice gigbag with backpack straps: http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,0;item,136;Standard-Gig-Bags-CMUC You can't tell from the photos, but the bags are well padded and the interior is covered with a plush lining. I use them on a concert and a soprano and I'm happy with both bags. They make them in leather, too, but not sure if the backpack straps are fitted to the leather models.

Top Bottom