Old uke gets new lease on life (frankenuke)

KC8AFW

Reaction score
Okay...so I have this 1930s Favilla U-2 soprano that I really love the sound. But, the tuners just suck. They were the original tuners that something must have happened to the original buttons...so someone made some wooden buttons to replace them. As you can see in the following photos, the wooden buttons have split and they were difficult to use.

HPIM0414.jpgHPIM0415.jpg

I have searched high and low for replacement buttons, but I could find nothing that would fit the shafts. So I finally broke down and bought new Gotoh tuners and drilled out the headstock. I had to drill 13/64" hole for the shaft, and countersink a 9/32" hole for the bushing. I was as careful as I could be...but I still didn't get them exactly centered. And the 2nd or E string tuner is angled just slightly. I still don't think it looks too bad.

HPIM0424.jpgHPIM0425.jpg

I've probably ruined the value of this old uke...but I'm a player, not a collector. I'm just happy to be able to tune it up and play it.

What Gotohs did you use, just standard uke tuners? I need to do the same thing with my Favilla, mine is missing part of the fretboard and the 12th fret, and I need to replace those parts and would like to put new tuners on it too, but couldn't find any with a short enough shaft.

What Gotohs did you use, just standard uke tuners? I need to do the same thing with my Favilla, mine is missing part of the fretboard and the 12th fret, and I need to replace those parts and would like to put new tuners on it too, but couldn't find any with a short enough shaft.

Yep...Gotoh Standard Ukulele Tuners: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GUKNW.htm

I had bought Grover Sta-tites, but the bushing is larger than I wanted (would have obscured part of the Favilla logo). The Gotoh Deluxe had the same issue. I would have preferred black buttons, but I think these looked the best. I think originally the Favillas from that era had white buttons.

My Favilla Soprano of the same vintage has white tuners, my Favilla teardrop which is older has black tuners.

Your update on your Favilla looks great, and better to have a uke you can play and enjoy in my opinion. I do love the old brass tuner shafts on the Favilla ukes though. Don't throw your old ones away. If you want to get rid of them, let me know, I am interested!!!

I would not worry too much about lost value. The real value of a Favilla is the sweet tone. I'd say you have a winner even with the replacement tuners.

Thanks...here's a sound sample: http://soundcloud.com/kc8afw/favilla-u-2-sound-sample My playing doesn't quite do it justice, though.

My Favilla Soprano of the same vintage has white tuners, my Favilla teardrop which is older has black tuners.

Your update on your Favilla looks great, and better to have a uke you can play and enjoy in my opinion. I do love the old brass tuner shafts on the Favilla ukes though. Don't throw your old ones away. If you want to get rid of them, let me know, I am interested!!!

PM me your address and I'll stick 'em in an envelope.

The tuners don't matter. If the uke couldn't be played with the wooden replacements, you increased the value. I've replaced tuners on several ukes and sold each for more than I sunk into them, with the exception of one, which I broke even on since it went to a friend. Vintage style tuners that work, like Gotoh or Grover, are the only way to go when the old buttons are dead or missing.

Top Bottom