The tenor neck really increases the volume of Fluke?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi UU!
I'll buy a Fluke natural finish. Rosewood scale (costs too much to resubmit Fleamarket if I need to replace the plastic fretboard after arriving here in Brazil).

I was disappointed a bit with the volume of the Ohana Vita (good tone) to use in the classroom with my students (fretboard a bit too short and difficult to handle for playing standing up).

My only question not answered in previous topics about Flukes and Fleas is: The tenor neck really increase the FLUKE volume?

I haven't compared the two, but due to the higher tension of the Tenor, I'd say the answer would be "yes."

I would guess that a longer neck helps with the volume. I have a super concert (tenor neck on concert body) Kanile'a, and it was louder than the standard tenor Kanile'as I was choosing between. I have a concert neck Flea that I am happy with. I don't have a standard Flea to compare with though. It is possible the rosewood fretboard will effect the sound too. I heard a really nice Koa Fluke (or was it a Flea?) with a rosewood fingerboard, and it really sounded very nice. Better than my plastic fretboard Flea (but much more expensive). Experiment with strings too. I like the Aquila strings on my Flea. High tension strings will give you more volume than medium or low tension strings.

–Lori

I would recommend getting an Eleuke or a uke with a pickup and amping the sound. Gerald Ross did that at a workshop at the House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park, MD, and it was easy to hear his swing playing over the ruckus of the other ukuleles trying to duplicate him. You have complete control over volume.

Top Bottom