Want that Chimy high pitch sound!

musiccityuker

Reaction score
My current spate of UAS is driving me to find the perfect CONCERT uke ASAP. I recently sold two other ukes and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. I'm prepared for $500 to $1000 give or take. Here's my dilemma... I truly don't know enough about ukes to find the perfect uke for me. I'm turning to the people I trust the most... YOU... the real uke player!

I'm looking for that high pitch, chimy sound... like you get from a good spruce top. I already have a spruce top tuned low G... and it sounds so sweet I'm not going to touch it. What other woods will give me that sound I'm looking for? What makes and models would you recommend? I'm REALLY high on Kanili'a ukes but I can't wait 3 months ... ready to buy now! Again... looking for a CONCERT uke. Thanks and aloha all y'all from Music City!

Last edited:
I have not bought any ukes for more than £300 or $450 dollars so i dont know the diffrence between high end ukes. But i can tell you that its a good idea to go and try out ukes for that price at your local stores if its possible. It is always best to try a uke before buying it. If there is no local stores in that price range then you will have to rely on the ukers from this website with a lot of experience in buying ukes. Sorry i can not be of a help.

Hi Mr Pitchy. First time over the $500 threshold for me too. Strangely... I live in Music City USA and no one has any truly name brand ukes on the wall... So that makes the "tryout" next to impossible. But... willing to roll the dice on good advice. New or used. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Buy a Koaloha Concert on ebay. Use Worth Clear High G. You can't go wrong with this uke.

MP ukes...got one...Madagascar rosewood and spruce top...sounds really nice...not sure the sound you want...everyones ears is different...Hope it helps..MM Stan

Hello cityuker! I know what it feels like not being able to try out many brands of ukes because i live in midlands UK and the sops with a wide variey are and hour or twos drive away so it is not something i can do often. Good luck with findind the uke you want.

I have a Mya Moe myrtle tenor that kind of gives that sound. iDavid just posted a thread about favorite ukes...his description is pretty dead-on.

The Mya-Moe has this jangly-folkish chorus vibe... a sparkle if you will.

There is a waiting list (with the addition of Aaron Keim to the company it has gotten shorter). Looks like the next start date is September but a tradition concert falls within your price range and their ukes really are amazing.

Last edited:
Hi Mr Pitchy. First time over the $500 threshold for me too. Strangely... I live in Music City USA and no one has any truly name brand ukes on the wall... So that makes the "tryout" next to impossible. But... willing to roll the dice on good advice. New or used. Thanks for your input.

I purchased my latest uke through Hawaii music supply. Very helpful staff, but also because they have a good site with lots of sound clips recorded under similar conditions to help make comparisons. You can't really tell unless you play it in person, but it's the next best thing. Check MusicGuyMic's sound clips on youtube as well. It's hard when your ready for a higher end uke, but have no way to try one out. I just figured I'd just jump in and roll the dice. If the uke isn't all that I want, I'll sell it and buy another, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be quite pleased with it. It will be a big jump up from my Kala uke. Either way I come out a lot less than a plane flight to Hawaii.

Most chimey uke I own is a Kala Spalted Maple, and it cost no where near what you are willing to spend...but that is how I would describe it to a T. Chimey, jingly chorus on it that made me have to have it.
I have played a Ko'aloha Concert and I am still wondering why I do not own one- it was brilliant, but I would not call it chimey (bright yes)

Top Bottom