Low G Aquila Question

Tim

Reaction score
So I got these low G Aquila strings for my Tenor today...and being the newb that I am I've got a question.

Is the second string (E) supposed to be the thickest one in the set?

Thanks

So I got these low G Aquila strings for my Tenor today...and being the newb that I am I've got a question.

Thanks

It's been a while since I've used Aquila's, but from what I remember it depends...if your C-string is wound, then yes the E is probably the thickest string in the set. If it's an un-wound C-string, then the C should be thickest.

Whats up Tim. Welcome to UU.

Anyway, usually, on a 4-string tenor, the third string (C) is usually the thickest one. Just to make sure you are numbering the strings correctly: the bottom string (A) is #1, then the second string from the bottom (E) is #2, third (C) #3, & the top string (G) is #4.

I think I know why you are asking this cause Aquilla's dont make it that clear which string goes where, right? They have colored dots on the sleeves holding the strings. Check real good on the outer package. It will tell you what string is what color.

oh, btw, I have Aquila's on one of my Tenors, and the C string is the thickest. I even have a would low-G on that uke too.

Hope I helped. Aloha, Dino

Last edited:
Ha..I put em in like they were labled..and the Low G is wound..I was just tripping that the (E) 2nd. string is the thickest.

There were a set of Kamaka's on it when I got it and the E was also the thickest...with a wound C.

Now I'm really confused!

Thanks for the quick replies..

Kenoi...I fish too...alot! Yellowtail and Mahi on the Kelps right now!

Edit: on the Kamaka strings the c is wound and looks like the same size as the e.

Last edited:
This is strange that your E string is thicker than your C string. I can't imagine what aquila's you got. I just opened up my 6-string uke case and that one has Aquila's on it too, and for that uke the C String is also thicker than the E string.

Just so I don't loose any sleep wondering why yours is different, here is what it should look like:

X X

X X

G C E A
----------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
4 3 2 1

This is strange that your E string is thicker than your C string. I can't imagine what aquila's you got. I just opened up my 6-string uke case and that one has Aquila's on it too, and for that uke the C String is also thicker than the E string.

Hey Dino, is the C in the 6-string set wound or unwound? I'm pretty sure I remember Aquila wound-C's being either slightly thinner or about the same size as the nylgut E's...It's been a while since I've used a wound-C though, so I could be completely wrong :/

Hey Keoni,
The C strings on my 6 are both anglut non-wound. Now come to think of it, 3 of my ukes all have Aquilla's. Now that you mention it, if the C is wound, it is a thnner string. I still can't see how Tim's E string is thicker if his C is non-wound. Oh well.....a mystery of the uke world!

Top Bottom