Introducing the "Airline" ukulele

tinguitar

Reaction score
A new model from tinguitar.com

The background to this design is that last year I was asked by Colin Shearing, if I could come up with a ukulele that would fit within the stringent size limits for cabin baggage on UK "no frills" airlines.

The brief was:

Full soprano scale
Traditional hourglass body shape, IE a proper acoustic ukulele, not a semi-solid etc.
Comfortably less than 55cm (21.7") long overall. (55cm is the size limit when flying on Ryanair.)

This is the result: at 47.5cm (18.7") it is well within the size limit with little or no compromise to the volume or tone.

P1070703a.JPG

P1070705a.JPG

P1070707a.JPG

This first production version has a cherry body with a Brazilian cedar neck, rosewood fretboard and rosewood violin peg tuners.

Phil Doleman took the prototype version on the Re-Entrants' recent Germany tour, where it served as his main stage uke. He was kind enough to record this review of it. Thanks Phil.

And I got a couple of sneaky strums on it when
I carried it back home for Phil,from Wales.And I
concur with everything Phil says in his review!
Oh,and did I mention,it's LOUD!!! especially for
such a little thing! Nice one Rob C!

Last edited:
Very nice! As a frequent traveler (and a new ukulele player) I'm still looking for that perfect travel ukulele. This might fit the bill. I have a plastic toy one that is not bad, actually, and Wolfelele is working on something special for me. Now if I only had room in my carry on luggage for my clothes, since it's now full of my hobby stuff. To folks who haven't flown within Europe/UK, their airline restrictions are way more stringent than in the USA. There is NO forgiveness!

Cute! :) That's a really good idea to have one that fits easily into carry-on luggage as yes they can be pretty darn uncompromising when it comes to your bag size on European flights, especially on those "budget" airlines!

Although it would compromise volume maybe, I think it'd be good to have it ever so slightly thinner as well to leave more room in your case for, well you know, clothes and stuff! Haha!

Nice travel Uke! I really like it. If I were getting one (the US carry on size has been big enough so far for a standard soprano in cardboard box), my wish list would include at least 15 frets. I have several melodic songs that require more that 12 frets.
–Lori

Thanks for looking folks!
Although it would compromise volume maybe, I think it'd be good to have it ever so slightly thinner as well to leave more room in your case...
It is slightly thinner than my normal sopranos - the body is 50mm deep and is not tapered from end to end.

my wish list would include at least 15 frets..
A 15 fret version would be no problem at all. There's plenty of scope to extend the fretboard.

Top Bottom