No respect..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
So, the bride was laughing at me this morning. For one, being a baby and working protecting my finger by holding it up out of the way. 2nd, she started laughing as she snapped this picture telling me to "Lighten Up". She said I looked like an axe murderer, and not to take it so seriously, lol.. I was leveling frets on a soon to be available tenor. Man, I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

intense.jpg

Aloha Tudorp,
Leveling the frets is serious business....hope she realizes this.. lol MM Stan

Aloha Tudorp,
Leveling the frets is serious business....hope she realizes this.. lol MM Stan
She will when she has to flush diamond file dust out of my eye for me.. lol

At the risk of sounding like a butthead, "to have level frets.." ;) If you frets are not perfectly level, or at least close, it can cause buzzing. If one fret is slightly higher than the others, when you fret a note above it, it risks vibrating on that higher fret (buzz). I set my ukes up with pretty low action, which makes it much more critical to have level frets. Higher action it isn't as critical, because there is plently height to not let a string buzz. But the trade off is sustain sometimes, and difficulty in chording, as well as sharp chords. The lower the action you an get without buzzing, the easier it is to play IMHO. So, I check the level on all the ukes I set up. If there are some slightly higher, I will take them down with a diamond stone, and polish with a very fine diamond stone.

Man I need to send you my Epiphone Les Paul Uke. Already saw the thread where you shimmed the neck. You level the frets on your LP?

Man I need to send you my Epiphone Les Paul Uke. Already saw the thread where you shimmed the neck. You level the frets on your LP?

She messes with me, because I tend to be OCD (altho never diagnosed) with being a perfectionist. But, I like to set them up like I was gonna play em myself. I guess that's a good thing though..

And yes, I leveled the frets to the LP, even on my Gibson Les Paul (guitar). Like said, I set my actions up pretty low. My Gibson Les Paul, you can almost form a chord just breathing on the strings, lol.. It's ultra sensitive, but plays awsome, makes sliding, ripping, speed picking, chord progression very smooth and seemless.. I don't go that low on ukes tho.. Thats why my daughter loves playing my Gibson LP, because her hands and fingers float all over the place barely touching the strings and forming the chords and notes.. She loves it too..

Top Bottom