Tuning

kevsumac

Reaction score
So I got the Dolphin I ordered delivered yesterday. Had an empty sleeve of Aquila strings in the box. I assume this was to show that those are the strings on the uke as I paid extra for a set up. I check it out and start to tune it. The G string was at A# so I had to tune down thru A#, A, and G# to arrive at G. The C string is currently reading G on my tuner. That's so far off C (i think) that I quit in confusion. Should I tighten up to get to C or loosen up to get to C. Was afraid that if I tightened up that much I might break the string. Also thought maybe it's strung wrong. Or maybe it was shipped with low tension on the neck on purpose. Any input?

Tighten up the C string. Unless it's the wrong gauge for the C string, it'll be fine.

Last edited:
If you are unsure about tuning try an online ukulele tuner like this one. You should be able to hear if the string needs to be tightened or loosened. Ukulele strings stretch quite a bit, but as long as ther were installed correctly they will be fine.

- Steve

Sometimes the headstock tuner confuses G and C as the frequency is similar, but eventually will show C.

Are you sure you are in the right octave...it could damage your uke by overtightening...I see alot of beginners make this mistake..even with a tuner..strum down on the strings when you get
it tuned and it should have the My dog has fleas tune....be careful, overtightening and rip the bridge off, break the strings, or even worse of all have neck issues.. MM Stan

Just maybe it was in D tuning (A D F# B)?

What tuner are you using?

I often use an app on my iPhone called GuitarToolkit to tune, and sometimes it doesn't seem to "hear" right unless I take it off the specific tuning and go to "all notes" mode.

With my clip-on tuner on my eleuke, sometimes I have to move it around on the head to get it to "hear" the G and C strings properly.

If you're using anything like that, I hope that helps you!

Top Bottom