Pineapple controversy

mandrew

Reaction score
I cannot afford UAS, and at most, I may be able to afford 2 ukes to cover most bases. I want a good soprano and a nice low G concert. That will do it all for me. When it comes to pineapples, to my ear, there is a hearable difference between them and hour glass shaped instruments. The pineapple sounds a bit louder, and has a bit more "ring" or sustain to them. Yet, others tell me that there really is no difference. Is it just my ears, or does anyone else hear a difference, and how would you describe it? I don't buy instruments for the "cute" factor alone.

I only have experience with two Pineapples. The Ohana pineapple I didn't think there was any noticeable difference. The Kamaka pineapple is definitely different and beautiful, but the Kamaka pineapple has the round shape and is also considerable chubbier then a standard soprano making even more space on the inside.

I too only have experience with two pineapples - Kamaka (soon to be mine!) and Koaloha (I've tried several but never owned one). I've owned both of their soprano figure-8 cousins, and in both cases I prefer the sound of the pineapple shape for the exact reasons you stated - volume, and sustain. Playing chords in first position I don't find this as noticeable, but playing lead further up the neck I find the pineapple shape makes a big difference.

I actually was thinking about this very thing - can I get by with just two ukes, a reentrant pineapple and a low-G concert? If I had to, I absolutely think this would be a good way to go. Although I plan to hang on to my two concerts for a good long time :)

I too only have experience with two pineapples - Kamaka (soon to be mine!) and Koaloha (I've tried several but never owned one). I've owned both of their soprano figure-8 cousins, and in both cases I prefer the sound of the pineapple shape for the exact reasons you stated - volume, and sustain. Playing chords in first position I don't find this as noticeable, but playing lead further up the neck I find the pineapple shape makes a big difference.

I actually was thinking about this very thing - can I get by with just two ukes, a reentrant pineapple and a low-G concert? If I had to, I absolutely think this would be a good way to go. Although I plan to hang on to my two concerts for a good long time :)

Oh, Jane! I bet you are pretty darn excited about that pineapple. I'm sure you will love it. I've played a number of Kamaka pineapples. I thought they sounded a lot like the concerts; since I already have the latter, I didn't buy the former, even though I really like the way they look and feel, especially the newer ones with the extended fretboards. Some day. Meanwhile, Elderly had an Ohta-san (one of my dream ukes per hat other thread) for about two days; it sold that fast. I didn't have the $1,500.00. Somebody got a beauty!

Only pineapples I have heard/played are savagehenry's Ohana soprano and his Mainland mahogany long neck concert. The soprano....not so sure, but that concert long neck is amazing.

Last edited:
Oh, Jane! I bet you are pretty darn excited about that pineapple. I'm sure you will love it. I've played a number of Kamaka pineapples. I thought they sounded a lot like the concerts; since I already have the latter, I didn't buy the former, even though I really like the way they look and feel, especially the newer ones with the extended fretboards. Some day. Meanwhile, Elderly had an Ohta-san (one of my dream ukes per hat other thread) for about two days; it sold that fast. I didn't have the $1,500.00. Somebody got a beauty!

Ridiculously excited :)

And, uh-oh. The Ohta-San Kamaka is starting to appeal to me. Does it ever end?!

Does anyone know if a low G string will work on my Leolani pineapple? My Kamaka pineapple sounds fine with the high G but the Leolani needs something.

(Jane is going to LOVE that pineapple. And one can never have too many Kamakas! :)

But to the question:

yes, I can hear a difference in the sound. And I agree with Jane--if you could only have two--get the two you're thinking of.

And I'm stating, in public, that I could get by with only the pineapple and concert Kamakas. They're that good. (Although it would really hurt to give up the '48 Martin. Jane, can I keep that one too? Please?)

(Although it would really hurt to give up the '48 Martin. Jane, can I keep that one too? Please?)

It's figure-8 and it's mahogany, therefore not redundant. Sure, you can keep it!

Don't have anything to compare it to, but I have a Yairi Kanai, that's a bit of an oddball pineapple shaped instrument (included a pic here) I have strung up as a tenor uke.

It's a solid cedar top with maple back/sides and the thing's an absolute cannon, if a bit heavy feeling next to my other tenors. Don't know if the shape really has anything to do with it but I do like it. :)

Hi mandrew!

I've only gotten my hands on pineapple ukuleles in music shops. I've also pineapples generally have a slightly bigger sound than their standard cousins---especially if you play the same brand one after the other.

The nicest pineapple ukulele that's been in my hands was a KoAloha. Absolutely beautiful sound, just like I think a ukulele should sound---deep and mellow. Clear, balanced tone and volume from each string. Great sustain and volume. Light as a feather. Slim, comfortable neck. Perfectly set up. A gorgeous ukulele.

Luckily, my little standard Kamaka's very deep, loud and mellow too. So I avoided UAS in this case. Whew.

I wanted a Pineapple because of the difference in sound and got a laminate Luna Tattoo Soprano Pineapple, I know there isn't a big different in sound because it's not solid, but I do hear a more mellow sound from her compared to my Ohana, KPK and Tanglewood Sopranos, I mean they all sound different because some are entry level and others more mid, but to me the pineapple has a nice sound that is different from a "regular" soprano.

As others have said, if you're funds are limited and you can't afford UAS or to buy something because it's pretty then go with the two you mentioned.

Hope that helps :D

Got some great advice here, even the ones on topic! sounds like some are saying that it isn't just me, but there is a real discernable difference in sound (louder, sustain) in the pineapple vs hourglass. since finances forbid me to hvae UAS, I will work toward teh soprano pineapple and a low G strung concert to cover all bases. I know that you all love the K instruments, but that is out of my league, so I am looking at Ohanas and Mainlands to fill the bill. BTW, does anyone make a concert neck pineapple?

Ohana's mahogany pineapple sounds and plays great. Plus it's got a cool, pineapple headstock. ukuleleworld.com has them for $145 + shipping right now. Great price for a solid instrument---and if you email Roy a note about how much you love ukulele, he might email you back a coupon code that'll save you a few bucks. A great deal on a great ukulele!

Top Bottom