i you got 5 figures lying around

If anyone ever asks you what the word "provenance" means, you can answer "Provenance is the $9000+ premium you pay on a good uke because Eddie Vedder played it first."

Sounds like a good cause: http://www.ferrycountyrailtrail.com/index.htm I grew up in WA state and had never heard of Ferry county. The population of Republic, WA (the city of the ebay listing) in 2000 was 954. If Mr. Vedder wants to help save country, he picked a good spot to do it.

It is an interesting concept. Get someone to grossly overpay for a ukulele in the vein of a donation.

I don't know too much about the FCRTP other than what is on their site. Basically the county would get 28 miles of railroad line and convert it to a trail. Sounds pretty cool, but not sure what the cost would be over the long haul. The truth is, it could be a good thing or not. I imagine that there are people lined up on both sides of the issue. But this is not a donation to a organization that is feeding starving children, digging wells to bring fresh water to people who have a high disease rate, or even sending supplies to those impacted by tornados or floods. This is for a hiking trail.

There is something a little odd about giving $10K for a $1K ukulele to help a trail, when someone could spend the $1K on a used Kamaka and give the rest to a charity of their choice.

John

It is an interesting concept. Get someone to grossly overpay for a ukulele in the vein of a donation.

<snip>

There is something a little odd about giving $10K for a $1K ukulele to help a trail, when someone could spend the $1K on a used Kamaka and give the rest to a charity of their choice.

John

Three observations:

1. Nobody is grossly overpaying for this ukulele. It's an auction. Clearly, this uke is worth $10,000+ to someone. Not to me, but someone has bid that of their own free will.
2. Clearly the bidding is going that high not because it's a Kamaka ukulele, but because it's Eddie Vedder's Kamaka ukulele. The price is a bit shocking, because it's not like Eddie is highly associated with this particular instrument, like Clapton was with Blackie or Garcia was with Wolf and Tiger. As far as I can tell, it's just a random uke he bought, played on an album, and is now selling to help raise money.
2. Regarding the notion that "someone could spend the $1K on a used Kamaka and give the rest to a charity of their choice"-- perhaps this *is* the charity of their choice.

I agree. No one is overpaying. The price is what the market will bear. Add to that the fact that many people will choose to "overpay" when an item is being auctioned off for charity. I once watched a photo of John Glenn sell for over $2,000 at an art show, not because it was great art, but because a friendly bidding war broke out among some folks who knew that the money was being donated. It was a lot of fun to watch, and no one got their money's worth, except the charity.

-Pete

I guess this could be a little like gambling too. If Eddie Vedder ever, for whatever reason, leaves the earth, this will likely skyrocket in value. Eddie has to be alittle concerned that the winner doesn't figure that out and good looking for him! Eddie, if you are out there, please be very careful....

What a great way to raise money for charity. Every charity is meaningful for somebody!!!

I think it's great Eddie Vedder is bringing attention to the ukulele!!

It's for charity so people are probably willing to shell out a bit more. Then you're talking star power behind it and it's one of the instruments featured on the album and in the booklet. It's not just a random autographed uke. Who knows how famous Eddie Vedder will still be in 20 years or how important this album will be, but people do pay a premium for rock memorabilia. Either way, if someone was already thinking of donating a large wad of cash to this charity, then they might as well get a piece of rock history for it.

I'd never spend that much on that uke. But if I ever came into some money I'd fly to Hawaii, go down to the Kamaka factory and do my best to get Casey to build a custom tenor for me :D

You can just call Kamaka up and have him build one for you now without the trip. Of course there are some restrictions still on what customizations they will do.

Top Bottom