New Old Kamaka Day!

R

RyanMFT

OK, I am hardly able to contain myself......I found an incredible early Kamaka pineapple.....and bought it! I ran out on my lunch hour just so no one would get there before I did! Overall, it is in great shape. When the guy handed it to me, it was missing the bridge....but when I mentioned it, he said "oh yeah, I have that too" and handed it to me! The inlay is great and only one shrinkage crack on the soundboard.....otherwise, just dirty and needs tuners. I'd like to put some wood pegs on it, anyone know where I might find some? I know I can use violin tuners and that is how I may have to go.

How old do you think this one is? Sorry for the bad pics, it's all I could do at the moment!

3044b00c.jpg

44454f72.jpg

Congrats!!! Hope you can get it repaired and ready to play ASAP! Would love to hear how it sounds!

Super NICE!!! I am curious how much you paid for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Very cool, congratulations Ryan. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up!
Don

Thank you all! I am so excited, and a little bummed I can't just throw strings on it and start jamming! I have contacted Kamaka to see what they might charge for the repairs. However, I have a local luthier who does wonderful work and I don't know if I could wait a year for Kamaka to do it as I know they are pretty backed up on repair work. I NEED to play this uke!

I am glad it has the original bridge as that will be pretty easy to but I am going to have it done correctly!

Anyone have any old wood pegs, or know where I might find some?

Congratulations! You need to get on the next plane to Honolulu just to show this to the folks at Kamaka! I'm sure they'd love to see one of their oldies but goodies!

Just curious, as I noticed you live in the SF bay Area, where you found it? Also, who's your luthier? I have a new Kamaka and while I hope it doesn't need repairs for a long time, I'd like to have someone in mind in case someth9ng happens. thanks!

Aloha Ryan,
Damn, how do you find all the cool stuff? Good for you Bruddah, nice addition to your collection.
BTW, I'll be in Hawaii for 1-3 months or longer so our get together will have to be postponed.
Have fun with your new love..........................BO.......................

Congratulations! You've got a piece of history now.

I hope your luthier is Mike DaSilva; He's the man for ukulele repair in Berkeley!

Awesome Ryan. That's gotta be an early 30s model. Can't wait to hear a sample of the sound!

Thanks for the kind words all....I feel really lucky. I have found some great ukuleles! I look everywhere and I tell everyone I know about my passion for vintage ukes....and from time to time, one pops up unexpectedly! As for price, I prefer not to say...but I feel like it was a very good deal.

My luthier is not Mike DaSilva. Nothing against Mike, he makes beautiful instruments, and is a real ambassador for uke in the bay area. I am a weirdo, I like things off the beaten path. My luthier is John Jordan of Jordan music services. He has been working with stringed instruments for 40 years and knows just about everything there is to know about luthiery. He is also just a really cool guy who did great work on another uke of mine.

Again, thank you all....I can't wait to clean it up, get it repaired and hear what it sounds like! I will post more pictures when it is cleaned up.

I give Mike DaSilva a little publicity every chance I get---he did a terrific (and reasonably priced) repair on my Camp Uke. Sadly, I more than undid the repair a few months later (don't store your ukulele near the edge of a desk in the bay area, everyone). I'm sure John's more than qualified to bring your beauty back to life. Excited to see and hear how it turns out.

I spent some time cleaning my uke last night and wow....what a beautiful uke was under all the grime!

Talked with Kamaka on the phone last night and they ask you to send it to them for a free estimate for repairs. They don't replace wood peg tuners but install modern tuners. I think for me, that leaves Kamaka out for repairs as this uke should have wood pegs in my opinion. If not, I have some vintage tuners I can use.

I am so excited to hear what it will sound like once it is repaired and strung up! I've never even played a pineapple before!

Aloha Ryan,
I'm sure you can find some friction tuners for it ...keep it original, it would be such a pity to modify it...Have fun working on it and playing it...MM Stan
De Silva ukes has them friction tuners..

Last edited:
Top Bottom