Tuners You Like

I am curious. I love the Pegheds but what are the next best tuners do you all like to install into your ukes?

Pegheds are awesome, if pricey. Some don't like the vintage look, but they work well. Second choice would be friction pegs from Gotoh or Grover & geared would be the open-gears Grover tuners.

OH…!!

You meant TUNERS, as in PEGS…!!

…ugh, silly me.

Don't mind the noob (moi),… he hasn't quite acclimated to the terminology quite yet! :)

:shaka:

I am curious. I love the Pegheds but what are the next best tuners do you all like to install into your ukes?

Trick question - there's an assumption that Pegheads are best when you ask what is the "next" best tuning machines. Pegheads are too light and don't add enough weight for me.

Personally, Gotoh Mini's (over Grover which tend to oxidize faster), and Grover 4 on a plate mandolin (for single sided headstocks). Of course, my newest top of the list is Gilbert's for the upcoming slotted headstocks, but can't put them on all instruments; too expensive.

I'd use Schallers, but I find the Gotoh's to be a good lower cost alternative. Not too fond of the Gotoh 510's, but they're growing on me. . . maybe someday.

I'd like to try Waverly some day.

Aaron

Last edited:
That really is the crux of the matter isn't it Aaron. There are lots of great choices available, but trying to put these things together and control the cost of materials is a real balancing act. It's staggeringly easy to get yourself overcapitalised into an instrument that you will have to take a bath on in order to recoup some of your expenses. Off topic, but it's also why I never add a pickup to an instrument unless it's been commissioned.

How come nobody builds with straight wooden pegs? Light and clean looking..and they work great when you get used to them.

How come nobody builds with straight wooden pegs? Light and clean looking..and they work great when you get used to them.

I wonder this all the time....because I love the wood pegs I have on a couple of my vintage ukuleles. Violins have used them for centuries. My guess is that the standard has changed and people have a different expectation now. I am working on an early Kamaka which had wood pegs originally and the Kamaka factory said they don't install them when they repair vintage ukuleles and they don't have any around because they don't work well..!!!!

I just think most uke players have never even used them and thus, they expect mechanical friction or geared!

I do!

There is a knack to using them, which takes all of about two minutes to get the hang of. I consider them to be more reliable than metal friction pegs.

Attachments

• P1070744a.JPG
    P1070744a.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 23
After seeing Pete Howlett commenting on getting tuners from Taisamlu on eBay I got a set of friction tuners from them to replace some absolutely horrid faux-Schallers on my Koloa soprano. The Taisamlus are VERY nice and were a drop-in fit. I'm very pleased with them, and I generally loathe friction tuners.

I use wooden pegs, Pegheds if I am asked and a range of tuners from Taisamlu. As far as I'm concerned the Taisamlu tuners tick all the boxes. I convert them from flat headstock fitting to slotted no problem. Gotohs are great but much too expensiver for production ukulele.

I have been using Grover Sta-tite Deluxe since they first came out, they have a two part nylon/metal washer set up, and nice bushings.
friction-pegs-ukulele-keys-set-of-4-gold-plated-with-black-knobs.html

Violin or Viola pegs are my favorite, but overall, people want a peg that can be tightened up if need be. There is a subtle learning curve to wood pegs that some folks never attain.

I have put wooden pegs on some of my ukes, but the stores have difficulty selling them. I have them on my vintage Martin and so I'm used to them, but most people can't seem to handle them.

Brad

Thank you for all of your comments!!! It is just what I needed. And yes, Allen, it is a balancing act. I am trying to find the best tuners I can for an appropriate price. Something not too expensive that works well and not too cheap either. Some of you have opened my eyes to using just the basic wooden pegs which I like the idea of. Just getting back to the basics. Thank you all!!

Be aware that many of these tuners with plastic knobs will have a molding seam on them. Some are worse than others. It pays to take the time to wet sand the seams and buff them on a wheel. It's the little things that make a difference.

Last edited:
I use wooden pegs, Pegheds if I am asked and a range of tuners from Taisamlu. As far as I'm concerned the Taisamlu tuners tick all the boxes. I convert them from flat headstock fitting to slotted no problem. Gotohs are great but much too expensiver for production ukulele.

Thanks Pete! I'll have to try the Taisamlu tuners. Appreciate your help.

headstock2.jpg

Pegs2.jpg

complete.jpg

I'm not a pro but I made my own homemade wooden pegs for a CBU and they work fine. I would never put these on a uke that was for sale profesionally since I think most people would be suspicious of them. Too many people refuse to believe metal friction tuners are easy to use - IMO wooden pegs would meet worse skepticism. I wanted this CBU to be indicative of one built in the 1920's by a poor but skilled craftsman. So I purchased nothing except the strings and the fret wire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom