Looking for a New 8-Stringer

FiL

Reaction score
Anybody know of any acoustic/electric 8-string ukes that are a step above the Lanikai/Kala instruments, but still under $1K other than a Mele? (Not that I have anything against Meles, I just want to know if there are other options out there.)

I've been playing a Lanikai O-8E for several years now, and I've recently started gigging with it. While packing equipment for my last gig, I realized that if something would happen to it, I don't have a backup 8-stringer. Now the sensible thing would be to buy another Lanikai as a backup, but I think it's high time to step up to a batter uke, and use the Lanikai as my backup.

Ans as much as I like the idea of having an all-Mahogany or Koa uke, for my purposes, a spruce top works best. I often play unplugged with anywhere from 5 to 15 guitarists, so loud and "not-mellow" is good. (I also use a banjo-uke in those situations, but it doesn't work on every song.)

Anyway, just curious if there's anything out there that I'm missing. Other than Mele, there seems to be a big gap between the $250-$300 ukes and the $1000-$1200 ukes in the 8-string department.

I know buying used is also an option, but I'm a bit skittish at the thought of giving something in the neighborhood of $1K to a stranger.

That Pono sounds awful sweet!

Thanks, Brian! Not sure how I missed the Pono. It looks like an excellent value. Heck it even has an adjustable truss rod! Though it looks like if I want a spruce top, I'll still be going with the Mele.

I have owned two mele 6 strings. sold the first one and another mele to purchase a pono 8 stringer. Big mistake. though the pono was built better it didn't sound better. My second Mele 6 stinger was great. I am wanting to get another 8 stringer and I contacted ukerepublic (www.ukerepublic.com) about getting one of the sailor brand ukes in an 8 stringer. He said it is doable.

I have owned two mele 6 strings. sold the first one and another mele to purchase a pono 8 stringer. Big mistake. though the pono was built better it didn't sound better. My second Mele 6 stinger was great. I am wanting to get another 8 stringer and I contacted ukerepublic (www.ukerepublic.com) about getting one of the sailor brand ukes in an 8 stringer. He said it is doable.

Cool! I've been thinking about Sailor ukes. Do you have any idea what the price point might be for a Sailor 8-string?

It's amazing how much they cost, I'm after an 8-string but I really can't justify spending that much on one. I really like the spruce top Lanikai but it costs more than I paid for my 12-string guitar. I'm tempted if I'm gonna spend a ton on one then to go for the Pono... but then I'd prob never afford it and I don't know much about them?

It's amazing how much they cost, I'm after an 8-string but I really can't justify spending that much on one. I really like the spruce top Lanikai but it costs more than I paid for my 12-string guitar. I'm tempted if I'm gonna spend a ton on one then to go for the Pono... but then I'd prob never afford it and I don't know much about them?

...you must have gotten a good deal on that guitar! I have the O-8E (the spruce top Lanikai with a pick up) and I think it is worth every penny. Love it.

Thanks, Brian! Not sure how I missed the Pono. It looks like an excellent value. Heck it even has an adjustable truss rod! Though it looks like if I want a spruce top, I'll still be going with the Mele.

With the Pono, not sure you'd miss the spruce top a lot, except for looks. If it were me, I'd get the 8 string I wanted and have a MiSi installed.

Top Bottom