Ko'olau ukuleles

lookingforcurly

Reaction score
Does anyone own or have you played a Ko'olau tenor, more specifically a T-1? If so how does it compare to the other high end K brands?

Thanks

I have a Ko'olau Tenor on order that I should have in about a month. Not a T-1, but I'm sure I'll be recording a sound byte or 10 once I get it.

Only heard them online, but I think they compare favorably to any K brand uke.

Craig Brandau plays Ko'olau ukuleles. He has some great music on his site.
( I highly recommend his CD, too). Every time I hear his music I think I need a Ko'olau, and to practice more.

Craig's instruments are all custom Ko'olau . . . Cali also plays Ko'olau.

You don't really hear people talked about Ko'olau ukes. Even online I don't see many people play Ko'olau, it's mostly the other K brands. Its not loud as a Koaloha or mellow as a Kamaka and different than a Kanilea but it has a special tone to it. I love my Ko'olau even though its underrated K brand. It actually just cameback safely(thank God) from Ko'olau with a misi pickup.

I love my very unique Ko'olau CE-2 uke
KoolauCE-2full1.jpg

You don't really hear people talked about Ko'olau ukes. Even online I don't see many people play Ko'olau, it's mostly the other K brands. Its not loud as a Koaloha or mellow as a Kamaka and different than a Kanilea but it has a special tone to it. I love my Ko'olau even though its underrated K brand. It actually just cameback safely(thank God) from Ko'olau with a misi pickup.

From what I hear, Ko'olau has by far the lowest production numbers so that may be one of the main factors why you don't hear about them nearly as much as the other K brands.

I haven't played a tenor but when I got my concert I played about 15 ukes at Uke Republic including one other high end brand and the Ko'olau was head and shoulders above every one. They do have a mellow rich sound that is less twangy than some other concerts but it also seems to have greater complexity and helps the melody. Of course the instrument workmanship is flawless too. But really the lesson is that you need to play instruments to see what you personally like the best. There are lots of well made ukes out there but everyone seems to have preferences that are based on their own ear, how they hold a uke and their body shape. Try before you buy should be our advice although not everyone lives where uke comparisons are possible.

Two years back, I played a pineapple tenor T-1 that MGM had at the Cerritos Fest. It was all Koa with stock tuners, rosewood fretboard, etc. I think it may have been a prototype for my custom tenor pineapple. It sounded great! I didn't want to give it back to Mike!...LOL!

I love my Ko'olau KC. It was my first big boy uke (handmade Hawaiian), which probably adds to the love affair. I went as far as taking pictures of it in thoughts of sale, but after a recent outdoor uke festival I just couldn't do it. The koa is absolutely gorgeous, and as it glowed in the afternoon sun, I thought to myself, "Nope. Can't do it." I took another tour of the uke booths, tried a dozen or so, and decided I truly do love the amazing, mellow tone of my Ko'olau. I've also decided to round out my collection, however, as I get a good 2-3 hours of playing in each day (university teaching schedule has its bennies). I have a Kala thinline concert that has literally been around the world thrice, and my fiancee rocks her Pono MC-E (although I have insisted it live at my place until the wedding :) ). I'm having a Mi-Si pickup installed in the Ko'olau, and going to re-string it to low-g to better allow for some of the jazz and fingerstyle I've been practicing lately. Finally, I've decided to pick up a reentrant Koaloha longneck soprano to strum on those overcast/rainy days that require the bright pop of a happy Koaloha! As an Alaskan/Washingtonian/Oregonian ex-pat, I'm already planning my first custom from Mya-Moe in a year or two (depending on the rate of monthly savings, and wifey permissions, of course!).

Dige

Hey Dige,

If I may make a suggestion as far as low G strings are concerned, I prefer Savarez. Here's the link to the exact kind:http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_62_145_455. I've also played a couple of the Koaloha Pineapple Sundays which are really nice and bright and surprisingly well-balanced (physically) considering they've got a tenor neck on a concert body.

Hey Dige,

If I may make a suggestion as far as low G strings are concerned, I prefer Savarez. Here's the link to the exact kind:http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_62_145_455. I've also played a couple of the Koaloha Pineapple Sundays which are really nice and bright and surprisingly well-balanced (physically) considering they've got a tenor neck on a concert body.

The Pineapple Sundays are, indeed, a very special sounding ukuleles and when I play mine with a ukulele group of any kind, everyone is drawn to the beauty and tone of the instrument.

Hey Dige,

Are there any concerns regarding higher tension? My Ko'olau seems to be braced pretty lightly, and I'd hate to start pulling it apart due to my string choices. Thanks for the recommendations, though! It sounds like a lot of the strummers in the know have been working this string combo...

Are there any concerns regarding higher tension? My Ko'olau seems to be braced pretty lightly, and I'd hate to start pulling it apart due to my string choices. Thanks for the recommendations, though! It sounds like a lot of the strummers in the know have been working this string combo...

Worrying about your uke coming apart due to string tension is the last thing you should be worrying about with any quality uke or any uke for that matter.

My KoOLau T-1 does not have a visible truss rod.

Top Bottom