What exactly are the K-Brand Ukulele's?

GKK

Reaction score
Are the K-Brand ukulele's only made in Hawaii and begin with the letter "K" like: Kamaka, Kanilea, Koaloha, Ko'olau etc?... Thanks

Well to my knowledge it's any real expensive K.. brand aha I usually think Kamaka Kanilea and KoAloha

The best ukuleles in the world.... haha j/k. But the "K-Brand" Ukes are Kanile'a, Ko'olau, Kamaka, and Koaloha. These companies are all on the island of Oahu, and they all have the reputation of making great instruments. You really can't go wrong with any of these companies.

I'm trying to use the term "Big 3" and hoping it sticks: KoAloha, Kamaka, Kanilea. No offense to Koolau, but I've never really seen them to be as big of a player as the other three.

The best ukuleles in the world.... haha j/k. But the "K-Brand" Ukes are Kanile'a, Ko'olau, Kamaka, and Koaloha. These companies are all on the island of Oahu, and they all have the reputation of making great instruments. You really can't go wrong with any of these companies.

But you can probably safely say that they are, The best Hawaiian made production ukuleles in the world".

I'm trying to use the term "Big 3" and hoping it sticks: KoAloha, Kamaka, Kanilea. No offense to Koolau, but I've never really seen them to be as big of a player as the other three.

I think it's a name thing. Ko'olau in my opinion is one of the best, they just don't have the name that the others have. They have a wider range of products, and price ranges. And from their "low-end" ukes to their high end the construction and sound is amazing. IMO one of the top companies for ukuleles. And John is one of the nicest guys in the industry, and stands behind his product.

I'd honestly put Ko'olau above Kanilea any day. Unfortunately I've yet to play a Kanilea that has impressed me.

Still eying a custom Ko'olau :D Someday!

IMO the main 3 K brands are Kamaka, KoAloha, Ko'olau.

I don't really get that. If you mean that Ko'olau has a lower production rate, that's probably true, but I'm not sure when we started measuring quality by number built. PRS and Rickenbacker probably make a tiny fraction of what Fender does, but I have no question who makes superior instruments. If you mean that Ko'olau doesn't acheive the same quality as the other K brands... well, I just don't get that at all. Ko'olau makes fantastic ukes, at least based on the ones I've played.

So what do you mean?

I really like Ko`olau ukuleles. I have a Pono PKT-1, and the quality, beauty, and sound are superb. At the time I purchased it, I could not afford a Ko'olau, or any "K" brand, and I figured that was the next best thing. Over the years I have come to learn that it really is something special, not just a cheaper Ko`olau. Ask anyone who saw it at UWC. I am extremely satisfied with it.

I recently met John at the Ko`olau factory, and chatted with him for about an hour. He is a really nice guy and really believes in what he does.

Nice to hear about the Ko'olau company. I know nothing about them and out of ignorance I would have ignored them. Since hearing what you all have said about them I will definitely be giving them more consideration.

I think the name "Big K" or "K brand" is just what we, uke players, give to the companies. Not so many English alphabets are used in Hawaiian names so most of them begins with letter "K". I would consider G-String as one of the top makers in Hawaii too but unfortunately, it doesn't begin with letter "K".

I would give a definition of K-brand ukulele or "Big-K" ukulele as Hawaiian made ukulele (totally made in Hawaii not in China) companies that produce high-quality instruments such as Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanile'a and Ko'olau. However not all high-quality uke companies have to begin with letter "K" such as GString, Anaole, etc.

When I hear "K brands" it's, in order, Kamaka, Kanil'ea and KoAloha. It's the three best-known brands. Does not mean they're the best. Forums are rife with people who have issues with their Kamakas, etc.

From what Iv'e read, heard, seen, there are ones that are as good or better, some that start with K, some that don't, but it's a categorization. Like when saying "Japanese car" Honda, Toyota and perhaps Nissan come to the mind of most people, but there are other brands (Mitsubishi, Suzuki, etc.) also.

From Ukulelehunt.com:

Kamaka - The oldest surviving ukulele maker.
Kanile'a - Top quality, top price, Hawaiian made ukuleles.
Kau'wela - Kailua based ukes in Zebrawood.
Keli'i - High quality Hawaiian ukuleles.
Ko'olau - Their ukuleles are played by Ledward Kaapana, Lyle Ritz and Abe Lagrimas Jr. Who could argue with a line-up like that?
Koa Pili Koko - Koa-ish ukuleles from Keli'i.
KoAlana - KoAloha's budget range of ukuleles.
KoAloha - Hawaiian made ukulele company headed by the adorable Alvin Okami.

People'll disagree with this, mostly those with a non-Kamaka/Kanile'a/KoAloha uke who feel it should be included, but I'm just sharing my conceptualization of the term.

In my opinion the K Brands are Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanilea. They are the "Big 3" Hawaiian ukulele manufacturers that make a quality product, are most known, and their ukuleles are most readily available... and they are pretty affordable. Maybe not import affordable, but affordable for their quality.

It is no different than Gibson and Fender being the Big 2 electric guitar manufacturers, or Taylor and Martin being the Big 2 acoustic guitar manufactuers.

You can argue all day long about other brands being better or whatever criteria, but at the end of the day all of the above manufacturers consistently make quality products with few issues and they are the household names, so-to-speak, in the industry.

John

I reguard the Top Three "K" Brands as strickly as Kamaka, Ko Aloha, and Kanilea...they are Hawaii's best and best known premimum production ukuleles....
they retain their value the most and are worth every cent...

Last edited:
I reguard the Top Three "K" Brands as strickly as Kamaka, Ko Aloha, and Kanilea...they are Hawaii's best and best known premimum production ukuleles....
they retain their value the most and worth every cent...

I agree...when you hear What are the "K" brands the answer is always Kamaka, Kanile'a & KoAloha.

I agree...when you hear What are the "K" brands the answer is always Kamaka, Kanile'a & KoAloha.

Up until maybe a year or so ago I had never heard of Kanile'a. I'd seen them while on the islands, but never thought much of them when I played them. Whenever I was asked about the K brands it was Kamaka, KoAloha & Ko'olau :) Now I've added Kanile'a to that list.

When I hear "K brands" it's, in order, Kamaka, Kanil'ea and KoAloha. It's the three best-known brands. Does not mean they're the best. Forums are rife with people who have issues with their Kamakas, etc.

From what Iv'e read, heard, seen, there are ones that are as good or better, some that start with K, some that don't, but it's a categorization. Like when saying "Japanese car" Honda, Toyota and perhaps Nissan come to the mind of most people, but there are other brands (Mitsubishi, Suzuki, etc.) also.

From Ukulelehunt.com:

Kamaka - The oldest surviving ukulele maker.
Kanile'a - Top quality, top price, Hawaiian made ukuleles.
Kau'wela - Kailua based ukes in Zebrawood.
Keli'i - High quality Hawaiian ukuleles.
Ko'olau - Their ukuleles are played by Ledward Kaapana, Lyle Ritz and Abe Lagrimas Jr. Who could argue with a line-up like that?
Koa Pili Koko - Koa-ish ukuleles from Keli'i.
KoAlana - KoAloha's budget range of ukuleles.
KoAloha - Hawaiian made ukulele company headed by the adorable Alvin Okami.

People'll disagree with this, mostly those with a non-Kamaka/Kanile'a/KoAloha uke who feel it should be included, but I'm just sharing my conceptualization of the term.

I always figured the term was a little flexible when it came to Ko'olau, but always pertained to 100% Hawaiian brands that only produce high end and custom ukes who's names happen start with the letter K. To the best of my knowledge Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha and Ko'loau are the only companies that fit the bill. Koa Pili Koko, Keli'i, KoAlana and Kau'wela are all mainly budget ukes and I've never heard anyone call them a K-brand and I'm not sure if they're all 100% made in Hawaii either. Personally I don't care either way what the consensus is, but I guess I don't really see a reason to exclude Ko'olau since as a brand it seems like they fit right in.

Top Bottom