"Snipers" in UU Marketplace

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are "snipers" starting to appear in our marketplace. I have noticed at least two in the last two weeks who tried to offer more money than the seller was asking in an effort to get a uke that one or more members had previously PM'ed legtimately, offering to pay the asking price, inluding a higher offer after the seller posted it was sold.

I'm not sure about snipers, but I've noticed a few spammers who seem to be pushing products with posts that are not related to the thread topic. The grammar suggests that English is not their first language and they come across as salesman rather than players offering their opinion on an instrument.

- Steve

I noticed those posts too Phil, but no real concern here. All we can hope is that sellers are honorable with their sales and ignore such 'offers'. My guess is that they may be new members - maybe young too - not up to speed with forum etiquette. Sure, it's bad form and doesn't look good. My experience of this community though, is an overwhelmingly positive one and a couple of dodgy posts perhaps just require a quiet PM re correct protocol on marketplace dealings...

I don't have a problem with the buyers but it's more of a burden of the seller to enter into a contract. Not to sound legalistic but when does one get into a contract and how do you enforce it? I'm in commercial banking and retrades are part of the business

On the flip side, do we criticise sellers for asking for ridiculous prices on items? That is the bigger travesty!! lol

Either way, the market corrects itself and as the popularity of ukes increase, it will be harder to find great deals...Phil, look at it on the bright side, your ukes could potentially have more value when you sell them!! I agree with Eugene, there are overwhelming positive experiences on this website

Bassfiddlesteve, sorry for the lack of my English skills as it isn't my first language!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I saw that with the SK21. I wanted it too, but saw it was sold, so ya gotta let it go.. I have had people try to offer me more money after I agreed on a deal (with other stuff other than ukes), and I just told them that my ethics are simply not for sale.. Sorry..

I don't have a problem with the buyers but it's more of a burden of the seller to enter into a contract. Not to sound legalistic but when does one get into a contract and how do you enforce it? .....

My wife (an attorney by education) tells me that when email/pm's have been exchanged and terms have been agreed upon by both parties, essentially a 'contract' has been made.

But good luck enforcing that. But ultimately, it is the seller's uke and that person can do with it what they want with it. Having been the victim of a reneged contract (on a different site - not UU), there is one seller(on that other site) I will not buy a uke from (but odds are I probably never would any ways).

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that with the SK21. I wanted it too, but saw it was sold, so ya gotta let it go.. I have had people try to offer me more money after I agreed on a deal (with other stuff other than ukes), and I just told them that my ethics are simply not for sale.. Sorry..

Yep I've had that happen too.... or when you agree to hold an item for someone until they get their paycheck, etc. Then someone else badgers you for not giving it to them because they can pay immediately. Once I make a deal, I keep it.

Is a sniper someone who offers more money but doesn't intend to complete the sale? Or do you mean someone who simply offers more money at the last minute?

If it's the latter, then I don't really see a problem with it.

There are other issues... go look at my KTS-4 thread.
*facepalm*

Meh, just looks like people who didn't read the first post - you get those on eBay all the time. As long as it doesn't get malicious then I'm not too bothered myself.

I think it all boils down to ethics and common courtesy, which both seem to be fading in our society lately.

Meh, just looks like people who didn't read the first post - you get those on eBay all the time. As long as it doesn't get malicious then I'm not too bothered myself.

You mean the post that has the details of the ukulele, but the price replaced with "sold" in one of the largest fonts available? Oh! You mean the one where I say it sold. Gotcha.

Point - person is not serious and appears to be spamming.

Yes, that one. Many people are lazy and can't be bothered to read. No need to get your knickers in a twist over an internet troll - you just ignore their post and move on, like you hit the 'delete' button on email spam without thinking twice.

Back in the day, spam was a physical letter than came through your letterbox and you had to get rid of; trolls rang you up about mail-order items in magazines that were 3 years out of date. The internet age is a doddle to stay away from these idiots. :)

You mean the post that has the details of the ukulele, but the price replaced with "sold" in one of the largest fonts available? Oh! You mean the one where I say it sold. Gotcha.

Point - person is not serious and appears to be spamming.

Some people don't read all the posts and just reply to the original one -- could be why they missed the sold part. Or they could be lazy. Either way, a simple solution to this one is to let a moderator know to close the thread once the uke has been sold. In this instance I have closed the thread re: that uke that you sold.

Yep I've had that happen too.... or when you agree to hold an item for someone until they get their paycheck, etc. Then someone else badgers you for not giving it to them because they can pay immediately. Once I make a deal, I keep it.

One time I agreed to put a uke for sale on lay-away for someone, because they did not have the money right then. I turned down later higher offers for immediate payment, because a deal is a deal. Then after two weeks the buyer decided they can't afford it and wanted all their deposit money back (which I did.) People do all kinds of things.

I'm a little confused about the term "sniper". What does that mean exactly? I'm not presently involved in the Marketplace here at all anyway but as a total newbie to the forum I'm curious what is meant by these "ethics" people have mentioned. Excuse my ignorance, I'm genuinely just curious. By the way, I really like the site and Forum. It seems to be, in the majority, a friendly and helpful environment for Junior and senior members alike.

Cheers! -F

I'm a little confused about the term "sniper". What does that mean exactly? I'm not presently involved in the Marketplace here at all anyway but as a total newbie to the forum I'm curious what is meant by these "ethics" people have mentioned. Excuse my ignorance, I'm genuinely just curious. By the way, I really like the site and Forum. It seems to be, in the majority, a friendly and helpful environment for Junior and senior members alike.

Cheers! -F

I think this term "sniper" came from a definition of last second bidders on ebay. There are even sniping services to do that automatically.

Last edited:
Ah, I think I understand. Like the auto bidding function on E-bay or something similar. I was caught out by that recently, I wasn't even aware of it until that point.
Thanks for the reply. -F

I noticed those posts too Phil, but no real concern here. All we can hope is that sellers are honorable with their sales and ignore such 'offers'. My guess is that they may be new members - maybe young too - not up to speed with forum etiquette. Sure, it's bad form and doesn't look good. My experience of this community though, is an overwhelmingly positive one and a couple of dodgy posts perhaps just require a quiet PM re correct protocol on marketplace dealings...

Yeah, I've bought a few ukes from the marketplace and it's been great.

Top Bottom