suggestions on great uke music...

Jake Shimabukuro plays that kind of style of music. Jake is pretty much my idol and i'm a huge HUGE FAN! So if you didn't already check out his music I highly recommend it (his best albums IMHO are Dragon and his Live album). You can also check out Kalei Gamiao as well. He does unbelievable things with the ukulele.. pretty revolutionary for the instrument. I know he has an album out and more coming. Hope this helps a little!

I suggest you check out the thread on uke talk calles 'artists/band' its a sticky thread and is towards the top. There is a big list of ukulele players for you to look at.

Do you want to just listen or play what is in that video?

If you want to just listen to it, contact Hawaiian Music Supply. I don't know if it is something Jake plays, as ItsAMeCasey stated, it is similar.

If you want to play it, then sit down, watch what is being played and then work through it. It may take a weekend, or a week or a month or who knows, but learn what you can and then modify it if there are parts that you can't get.

Beginning last December, I began to work out instrumentals from videos on Youtube. It is a great way to add new music to your repertoire and also get out of that musical rut by challenging yourself a little. The nice thing is that there is no theory involved, the bad thing is that after a while you start to forget chords.

John

I got the impression that Sam is looking for ukulele music to listen to. If so, then in addition to Jake Shimabukuro and Kalei Gamiao, I wanted to throw in for Brittni Paiva.

Last edited:
thanks for all the suggestions! it seems it's time to buy a CD or two... :)

grace and peace,
sam

Top Bottom