Hi from australia

deejay

Reaction score
good morning or good evening depending where you are.deejay here i live in country victoria. a banjolele came in my possession the other day,i'm wondering if anybody has any info . its a rex . its been sitting in a garage for about 40 years . has anybody ever heard of the brand rex . and is it of good quality or just an el cheapo. its in very good condition for it's age.any info please.

Hi deejay
Welcome to UU. It might help if you post a couple of photos of the uke. I don't know anything about Rex brand, but I love looking at ukulele photos! I am sure someone here will know something about it.

–Lori

Hi deejay
Welcome to UU. It might help if you post a couple of photos of the uke. I don't know anything about Rex brand, but I love looking at ukulele photos! I am sure someone here will know something about it.

–Lori

hi lori i will as soon as i know how to do it.i mainly play guitar but i like the banjolele this one has a nice note . somthing new for me .

Aloha Deejay,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..have fun and enjoy..Congrats on your rex banjo..Happy Strummings..MM Stan Oh..heres the infor you requested:
"This Rex Professional banjo was made by the Gretsch Manufacturing Company in New York. Hooker's Gap to purchase this banjo for $4. This manufactured banjo is a good example of musical instruments readily available by the late 19th century for those who could afford a store-bought instrument or for people who wanted to craft their own version. The Gretsch Company, founded in New York City by Friedrich Gretsch in 1883, is still in existence today although they have relocated to Savannah, Georgia and mainly produce electric guitars. The Rex brand name was produced by Gretsch from 1902 through the mid-1930s and their banjos were considered entry-level instruments."

Last edited:
cheers stan .thanks for the info mate well that's good to here, amazingly it's in rather good condition i've got toget new strings for it and i'll be on my way to playing thanks again stan

hey stan how did you get that photo uploaded i tried but it won't happen for me

Welcome! Looks like you got your info. An entry level banjo uke way back then, a genuine "vintage" cutie today in excellent shape. I'd sure be thrilled with it, and made by Gretsch! Wow.

thanks phil i'm happy with it i reckon it will sound great once i get a set of strings for it then i'll have to tune it .im sure someone out there can help. cheers deejay

Top Bottom