Tuning a concert sized Uke?

pnj

Reaction score
Ok, my dad got his ukulele yesterday from MGM. He seems happy with it so far. He has a clip on tuner and seems to enjoy it but I don't know if he's tuning the strings correctly.

what should the strings be tuned to? :confused:

If your uke came with one of those Kala tuners, make sure you read the directions. If you press the wrong button (like a friend of mine who was new to ukes and got one of those tuners), you will have a heck of a time trying to tune your uke.

Like Joe said, tuning is GCEA, but you have to know which string is which, right? If you hold the uke up to your body, and look at the strings, the very top string or #4 is G, next string or #3 is C, then #2 string is E and the bottom one is A

all same tuning for all of them..
except baritone.
lanikai Lu-21T... high g or low g??
i dunno the difference
g string are all the same to me ;)

oh, one more thing.

Are there settings on his tuner for different instruments? I know he wouldn't know to look, and his eyes aren't the best (he's 70 or so).

He has this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FZONE-FT-800-Cl...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I will be seeing him in a few weeks, so I'll be able to help him out some. but I'd like to get him going on the right track until then.

thanks again, folks!

oh, one more thing.

Are there settings on his tuner for different instruments? I know he wouldn't know to look, and his eyes aren't the best (he's 70 or so).

He has this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FZONE-FT-800-Cl...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I will be seeing him in a few weeks, so I'll be able to help him out some. but I'd like to get him going on the right track until then.

thanks again, folks!

This tuner you shown here I personally havent used, but it does look like the intelli tuner I got from MGM. If they are anything alike, make sure you see 440 (the frequency) on the display and that there are no extra flat notes on the display also. you should be good to go.

Are there settings on his tuner for different instruments? . . . He has this one.

That's a chromatic tuner. That means it tells you which note your string is closest to, no matter what instrument, and whether it's sharp or flat (or right on).

I have the exact same tuner from MGM. I also have one that cost me more than three times as much.

The one from MGM works better. And it has some of the aloha that MGM is entirely made of rubbed off on it.

Live and learn.

I'm going to be ordering three more over the next month or so, starting tomorrow I hope -- one at a time... such is my budget -- so that all of my ukuleles have a tuner in their case. I hate to have to do extra thinking -- like, "is there a tuner with this uke?" -- when all I want to do is pick up my uke and go play it somewhere. And at less than $25 a pop, I'm going for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom