New uke...it's a baritone

savagehenry

Reaction score
My parents got me a new ukulele for my birthday on Sunday. My dad bought it in the Marketplace from a fellow UUer. I've seen them listed at Elderly:
KOLOA KU-650 BARITONE UKULELE
Traditional baritone ukulele, all solid woods, mahogany top, back, sides and neck, sealed gear mini guitar style tuners, bone nut & saddle, gloss natural finish. Imported from Asia.

I have to say that I am amazed, the gloss finish is flawless, the wood grain in beautiful, there is a great deal of sustain, and it is set up perfectly. I would think that this ukulele would be priced much higher, it just feels like an expensive instrument.

I think I'm going to get some strings from Southcoast and string it up GCEA.

Attachments

• Koloa KU-650 Back.jpg
    Koloa KU-650 Back.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Koloa KU-650 Top.jpg
    Koloa KU-650 Top.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Koloa KU-650 Side.jpg
    Koloa KU-650 Side.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 39
Wow, what great parents you have! Gorgeous uke.

I have an Oceana baritone Uke made in Ecuador. I love the baritone, but I keep it in DGBE for playing along with guitarists, especially if I am in a situation where I don't want to transpose chords rapidly in my head if I am playing with others or from unfamiliar music. For solo fingerstyle stuff I mainly play the tenor, although I have transcribed some solo classical guitar pieces for the baritone.

Aloha Brian,
Happy belated birthday..Wow 2 new ukes...don't lose control man...Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Nice! I have a Koloa soprano which I thought would just be a beater (albeit a solid mahogany beater). It is surprisingly nice! Like you said, beautiful finish, nice tone. People at UWC seemed to be impressed, especially when I told them I paid quite a bit under $100 for it. I did have to switch out the tuners, though...

All to say, your parents done good! Enjoy!

i know nothing of baritones...and yours looks great! that being said, would it be a bad / wrong / silly thing to string it GCEA? i think i need one...just for the sake of UAS, ...maybe string it low G? i gave up guitar years ago, and not sure that i want to confuse my tiny brain with guitar chords on top of my current quest of learning uke chords! any thoughts? thanks!

Happy birthday and congratz on the new uke.
I have never played a baritone but i definetly know that is a sweet looking uke.

i know nothing of baritones...and yours looks great! that being said, would it be a bad / wrong / silly thing to string it GCEA? i think i need one...just for the sake of UAS, ...maybe string it low G? i gave up guitar years ago, and not sure that i want to confuse my tiny brain with guitar chords on top of my current quest of learning uke chords! any thoughts? thanks!
I'm going to restring it low g. If you don't want to change it you can use the same chord shapes as you do on gCEA, they are just different chords (ie: a g becomes a d).

yeah I have heard good things about that Koloa Baritone and would love to see a youtube of it played!

cool... sounds great!

Thanks, I just can't believe how nice the finish and sound are for such an inexpensive ukulele. If you want to try a baritone and don't want to spend too much money, I think the Koloa will surprise you.

Top Bottom