Building a Ukulele from scratch

KyleYankan

Reaction score
Howdy folks,
So here's the deal. I just watched a video on Youtube of a gentlemen who create a ukulele out of an old Oil Tin. I really liked the sound of it and want to give it a go. However.... I've never done anything close to this before. Can someone point me in the right direction? Maybe link me to a supplier? I really want to give this a go.

-Kyle Yank

Well, there's the ukulele kits from Stew Mac that get good reviews and seem to sound nice if you put them together with love. Didn't luthier Pete Howlett from the UK have kits as well? Last time I checked his page I saw no kits advertised... Be sure to check out other uke forums such as Uketalk as well, a lot of luthiers (both pro and ama/hobby) that keep blogs of their adventures. There should be another video on Youtube of one of those kit ukes as well.

Pete Howlett supplies kits (trades as UK Ukes) and if you go on ukulele cosmos, he's just posted some videos on building techniques - also on youtube. This is part 1 and should lead you to the others he's made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrSVpTRCfY&feature=user

Sometimes my links don't seem to work, so if this is the case, just look for pete howlett on youtube. Good luck!

A good place to check out for parts, a guide book and lessons, etc. is Hana Lima 'Ia! Hanalima.Com

Checketh the new threadeth: fresh and fruity building pics...

If you get into a project like this as well, it would be nice if you can share your experiences with us!

Top Bottom