uke treatment & humidity

garyg

Reaction score
Greetings ukers, I am fairly new to the uke world and have some questions about the humidity issue. I live in Georgia so I assume that humidity isn't really an issue for most of the year and it makes sense that it's changes in humidity rather than high or low humidity itself that can harm an instrument. Nonetheless, why are ukes so susceptable to warpage from humidity changes - is it the thinness of the wood that they're constructed with? Also is it really true that we should be matching the humidity of the location where the uke was constructed to keep them in perfect shape or is that "folk wisdom". I mean, I suppose someone knows exactly where all those ukes made in China are from, but my guess is most folks have no idea what the humidity was in the location where their $200 uke was made. Finally, I travel a fair amount and take a soprano uke with me in a carry-on. Stepping into a plane during the Georgia summer is a tremendous change in humidity and besides keeping a humidifier in the case is there something else that I should be doing to protect my uke when I fly? Do most of you keep a humidifier in your uke cases at all times even if you live in humid climates like the American South or the coast?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi garyg, I myself am on a learning curve here. To add to your question I purchased a couple hygrometers for because I think it is humid enough in my house but wanted to be sure. I the last two weeks the humdity has been between 46% to 65% on any given day with the temperature in my house between 62 & 77 degrees. I assume that is fine and that until it starts going below 40% humidity I don't have to worry. Those out there that know let me know please. I assume if I had a humidifier in the case that the flux of humidity levels in my home would still affect the humidity in the case. I am particularly concerned with a little 40 year old Kamaka I have that already has some minor cracks due to being in too dry of a climate.

Hi garyg, I myself am on a learning curve here. To add to your question I purchased a couple hygrometers for because I think it is humid enough in my house but wanted to be sure. I the last two weeks the humdity has been between 46% to 65% on any given day with the temperature in my house between 62 & 77 degrees. I assume that is fine and that until it starts going below 40% humidity I don't have to worry. Those out there that know let me know please. I assume if I had a humidifier in the case that the flux of humidity levels in my home would still affect the humidity in the case. I am particularly concerned with a little 40 year old Kamaka I have that already has some minor cracks due to being in too dry of a climate.

Rox, that sounds about right to me. One small caution, you may have to watch the humidity inside during summer, as Air Conditioning can drive humidity below 40 % RH. A properly working/sized AC system should leave you between 45% and 55% RH. But like you said have a couple hygrometers around to know what is going on.

My AC system never has the RH below 40% (which is my limit to start the humidifers).

Thanks Doc_J. I live by the coast, no air conditioners needed. I will watch through the summer. We get a lot of rain accept for June through September so it will be curious to see what happens.

Good advice here. 40% is about the low cut off point at which you really do need to start to humidify. Not much you can do in high humidity conditions other than deal with action issues, but do take care if you suddenly go from high humidity to low. It's the fast changes that really wreak havoc with the wood.

fast changes such as going from outside heat to inside A.C.? I was surprised that in a 24 hour period my house fluctuates as much as it does, 15 to 20%. That isn't what you mean is it? Sorry if it is a stupid questions. I might have railroaded garyg's original question because he was concerned about traveling and going on airplanes with his uke.

fast changes such as going from outside heat to inside A.C.? I was surprised that in a 24 hour period my house fluctuates as much as it does, 15 to 20%. That isn't what you mean is it? Sorry if it is a stupid questions. I might have railroaded garyg's original question because he was concerned about traveling and going on airplanes with his uke.

You'll be OK Rox. Living in coastal Northern California, your humidity wont be that much different than what we have in Hawaii where your uke was built. 15 to 20% isn't a radical swing either way. On the other hand, if you live in South Florida for instance, and your air conditioned inside environment was 68 degrees/ 20% relative humidity, and your outside environment was 95 degrees and 95% RH, then you might run into problems over the long run. Or if you lived in the northeast and your uke was kept in a warm house in the winter and you played your uke outside in the frigid, dry air.
(The ukes I build are treated on the inside to slow down the effects of changes in humidity, but most have no such protection. )
Ideally, an instrument should be built in a climate controlled environment with an RH of around 50% so that it can easily handle a 20% swing either way. Your Kamaka will be happy amongst the redwoods.

Hijack, hijack <g>. So no one can give me advice on taking my ukes on airplanes, eh. I'll keep a humidifier in them just to be safe. Humidity in a jet is ~5% IIRC. cheers, g

no worries I was just hoping to guilt someone into answering the original thread <g> cheers, g

Top Bottom