Beginner Books

deadpool

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and did a search, and I just ordered a Kala KA-C which should arrive next week. It appears the Fretboard Road Map is a good resource. I have finger picked the guitar for a fair number of years and have been playing mandolin for 3 years. I don't need a theory book; I have a fairly good fundamental knowledge of that. I don't use standard notation.....................So, to get down to the question, what would be a good companion book to the Road Map that would have some basic finger picking tunes in it in tab?

Thanks for your help. This site is a tremendous resource for the Ukulele community.

Mike

I just got a new copy of Mel Bay's Fingertyle Solos for Ukulele. I haven't really gotten ino it yet, but looks pretty good and the reviews sound pretty good too.
I'm still working on this:

http://www.ukeschool.com/school/levels.html

I definately agree with "Fingerstyle Solos For Ukulele" it's one of my favorites. I'd also recommend both of John Kings books.

I'm offering Hawaiian style beginner books!
at www.pekelosbooks.com
aloha:)
pekelo

your books look realy nice, Im glad to see standard notation in them. I also see you are working on part 3. How many parts are you planning on creating? will you be offering a single method book for the series when it is complete?

Honestly, I think youtube (and ukulele underground) videos are far more useful than any book I've ever owned. But then, I've personally never been able to pick up much musical stuff (other than theory) from a book.

John

Aloha!
I'm pau(finished) with the text/pages but have to finish the CD!
then I still need to make major changes to the website...
pekelo
www.pekelosbooks.com

Pekelo..is you books set for High G or Low G?? I am wanting to learn that style but only have High G uke. Thanks

The CD is recorded with Lo-G
but in the front of the book, I discuss the option of the player leaving the instrument
as a Hi -G
...i don't have the book w/ me right now... gotta look up the page#....:)

There have been a large bunch of UUers who got this book(s) -I would guess that
most are going thru the books w/ Lo-G
but there might be some Hi -G players using the books/CD...

Pekelo, would your book suit for a baritone ukulele? Thanks

I have to say I like everything about Pekelo's Books. The sound tracks, the attention to detail, How new fundamentals are tied in to new songs learned. Just love the format. Maybe the best I've seen for a beginner book.

But....It's in low G. Being written for low G I doubt the songs would sound 100% correct. I've stopped myself from even considering low g because I want to learn high G first and I would think low G would just add confusion. Maybe after a good amount of time with High g I'll consider tackling low g.

Is switching between he two a problem for others? I would think as I'm learning the fretboard the tones are just as important as the notes themselves. and the change of tones would not be good for me I don't believe.

AB

Is switching between he two a problem for others? I would think as I'm learning the fretboard the tones are just as important as the notes themselves. and the change of tones would not be good for me I don't believe.

I've played reentrant for a few years now but started playing low G as well about a year ago. Switching between the two is not a problem at all if you just keep in mind that the notes on the low G string are an octave below the same notes on a reentrant G string.

I actually think switching between low G and reentrant will help you learn the fretboard, especially if you start messing around with playing melody and start looking for the melody notes in different places. For example, the "high" G that would be the open reentrant 4th string can simply be played on the second string, third fret as well.

I've got Pekelo's books too and I agree, they're among the better instructional books out there.

I also purchased both books (nearing the end of the first book), and would confirm what's already been said. Since I can only speak to the first book (so far), the highest compliment I can give is to say if a third book is published, I will be buying it.

As to the books being written for low-g rather than high-g I looked at this as an opportunity, not a problem. It provided me the rationalization to buy another uke!

P.S. The book stresses using the PIMA fingering system. I'm too naive to know if that's really any harder than any other approach, but like with anything else practice has made that approach seem very comfortable to me.

Last edited:
The book stresses using the PIMA fingering system. I'm too naive to know if that's really any harder than any other approach, but like with anything else practice has made that approach seem very comfortable to me.

Do other books use a different system and if so, what would that be? (Wiki has defined PIMA for me)

Jim B

Hey, I found this site that is really awesome! It has a load of songs with all the cords for them. It first shows you the cord placement on the uke and it also streams audio to help you play along with the song. It's awesome!

http://www.doctoruke.com/songs.html

Top Bottom