Does it seem like lots of cool used uke for sale lately?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I don't know if it is the economy, summer, weather, boredom or what. But, lately it seems a lot great used ukes are popping up for sale. Seems like it's raining Kamaka's in the Markeplace. Perfect vinatge Martin S1's for sale, a mint Compass Rose, a 3K DaSilva, several Kepasa ukes, Talsma Concert, Pono Mango Concert Pineapples, vintage Gibson, etc. ....all up for sale in the last weeks.

What do you think is the reason?

Maybe the uke biz is cyclic. But, I'd say it's the economy and maybe a desire by folks to try different ukes.

Last edited:
I'd peg it to two main reasons...One good, one not so much. The community is growing, with Vedder's album I'd wouldn't be surprised if the UU forum membership will grow by double digit % for the next few months just because of this.

Good - People make room for other instruments. I've seen a few threads in the marketplace of people who are selling as they await the arrival of their new instrument(s) and can only justify keeping so many on hand (and they have 4+ listed in their signature). Also I seem to sense that although many people enjoy the idea of a vintage instrument, they're sometimes not kept for very long (again, some people, don't jump on me here). In any case, instruments that were cared for and were enjoyed are moving on to new enthusiasts who will care for them as much or more.

Not so much - The ukulele has had a recent resurgence. That means people get wind of this great instrument and give it a go... and a number of people have money and they shoot high. So they get something vintage, reputable, expensive, custom. Their starter is a Kanile'a custom, Martin 5K (!!!), etc., but after a few months of it gathering dust they sell it. I say this isn't so good simply because I feel that the more people play it, the richer the community will become.

I agree, lots of good stuff lately. It seems that a lot of people are upgrading or have finally found "the one" and are thinning out their duplicates. I think it's great, so much to choose from and a lot of really good deals. It's easy to get caught up in it and keep buying ukes, I bought my first in February and I am up to five now. I keep telling myself all I need is a tenor and I'll be done, yeah who am I trying to kid.

I've found that living in an area where music shops carry few decent ukes makes it kind of hard because you can't try before you buy...I have been through more ukuleles than I can count looking for the "right one" - including a couple of Kanile'as. In fact, I will have my beloved Kanile'a K1 Soprano in the marketplace before too long as I'm having a custom built and the Kanile'a will be helping to fund the project...

I agree that we're also seeing some turnover from the people who jumped on the bandwagon and are jumping off again as well, but I think there's just a lot of collection rotating as well.

Not sure, but I've gotten a few sweet deals in the past few months. Long live UAS

You saw some Kepasas for sale? I've been looking for a used concert Gypsy Rose forever...

Top Bottom