DIY Binding Trimmer

Timbuck

Reaction score
On the Stewmac site is a video of one of these in action..I thought to myself I may buy one of those for my shed..but when I saw the price I had to think again..it costs far to much for my budget..if I spent that much on it plus postage and taxes to the UK..I'd have to move into the bunker with Gaddafy to get away from Mrs Timbuck's wrath:(
So I studied the Video again..then went into my scrap box and with some Corian worktop bits, Plywood, aluminium scrap, and a broken piece of spring from my drill press,...I made this.
PICT0040-4.jpg

PICT0036-3.jpg

It wasn't too difficult :rolleyes:..and tomorrow i'll fit the dial gauge and test it out on the Table Router.

Is this to thickness the binding? Can't see how you would use it to flush binding to the uke body.. but then I am not very clever.

I wasn't being completely honest about the video. I just hate having to watch a video in lieu of a two word explanation. It takes me 10 minutes to download and watch a video. But OK, I get it. I'll still build one but I'll never use it.
While I was on YT I caught this. A little rough language so weanies beware. Too funny. I assume we all have to del with stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_8ADmxqf0&feature=relmfu

Timbuck I am always impressed with your ingenuity, but seems like a pretty complex tool to do a simple job. I actually do the same thing on my bandsaw with a thin strip of wood as a fence. The nice thing about that is there is no mess. Notice all the chips created by the router on the stewmac jig and how they go everywhere and stick to everything. If you look closely, even after vacuuming they are still all over the place.

I wouldn't be able to build this or afford it.

when I use guitar fingerboards for my bindings, I drum sand the thickness of the f/b to the height of my binding channel then rip off bindings on the bandsaw. then I drum sand these to thickness.

When using binding stock I use a small marking gauge to mark the height and trim with a block plane. Then I drum sand to thickness.

Maybe this machine would make things quicker but as I said, I wouldn't be able to build or afford one.

Does look flash though.

Last edited:
I wasn't being completely honest about the video. I just hate having to watch a video in lieu of a two word explanation. It takes me 10 minutes to download and watch a video. But OK, I get it. I'll still build one but I'll never use it.
While I was on YT I caught this. A little rough language so weanies beware. Too funny. I assume we all have to del with stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr_8ADmxqf0&feature=relmfu

Dave's pretty frickin funny. Although I don't think he is trying to be ;)

I wouldn't be able to build this or afford it.

when I use guitar fingerboards for my bindings, I drum sand the thickness of the f/b to the height of my binding channel then rip off bindings on the bandsaw. then I drum sand these to thickness.

When using binding stock I use a small marking gauge to mark the height and trim with a block plane. Then I drum sand to thickness.

Maybe this machine would make things quicker but as I said, I wouldn't be able to build or afford one.

Does look flash though.
When im making Rosewood or Padauk bingings thats the way I make e'm...but I made this for trimming custom plastic laminated bindings bonded together with acetone..when they are bonded together the edges are a bit uneven ....and and this set up, removes the raggy edges and trims them down to size.

Top Bottom