Kanilea Tattoo

the.ronin

Reaction score
I’d tried searching a few variations but couldn’t find any info on this awesome laser etched tenor from Kanilea. I got to play it while I was in Oahu.

Anyone else check this out? Beautiful ukulele.

As an aside, what happened to mgm?? His ebay page doesn’t work anymore.

Sorry been away for a while.

Just bought it. Will do a review in a bit. But considering making it a gloss. But as for information, I am searching that now. Might got to Kaniela to get info from the source.

I'd prefer traditional flash on it, if it's to be a tattoo themed uke. But I wouldn't want to kill the sound with my own gloss finish when Kanilea are the experts in that department. Have you asked if they can make it gloss?

You might want to rethink the gloss attempt. Glossy finishes look great on a surface that is absolutely smooth and flat with the pores filled. Any variation in the surface (where the "tattoo" is etched) will scatter the light and make it look awful IMO. Satin finishes hide any flaws and uneveness of surface.
I think Joe Souza meant for these to have a primitive, more natural look, befitting the theme. That's my opinion but it's your uke!
Good luck.

Here it is in action from one of our staff please shoot me a pm if you have any questions! We have them in stock and I can give any details you are specifically requesting!

You might want to rethink the gloss attempt. Glossy finishes look great on a surface that is absolutely smooth and flat with the pores filled. Any variation in the surface (where the "tattoo" is etched) will scatter the light and make it look awful IMO. Satin finishes hide any flaws and uneveness of surface.
I think Joe Souza meant for these to have a primitive, more natural look, befitting the theme. That's my opinion but it's your uke!
Good luck.

Thanks Chuck. Didn't think of that. In the future, I'd love to get on the waiting list and get one of your beauties.

Mike

I've played one. I liked the sound better than the gloss-finished Kanileas

Top Bottom