PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Leila! (first uke)

Ashra
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Hello all,
I just got my first uke yesterday! I'm so excited to learn it! I got a Kala MK-T tenor uke from a local music store. I looked at the dolphins, and while adorable, I could not picture myself playing one. The tenor sounded so lovely that I was instantly sold on getting it, and it is equally lovely to look at. My fingers are tender from practicing on it- I'm learning the C,G7,F, and Am chords. I've already learned some things from this beginners forum. This community seems like a great, supportive place for burgeoning uke players! Happy to now be a part of it, and learning the uke at last! Take care all :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Welcome to UU, Ashra! Glad to have you in the community.

It's always exciting to hear that someone's having a great time with their first ukulele. Thanks for sharing your story, and keep strumming!

Laouik
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Very nice choice!

Enjoy it, and keep practising :D

chindog
06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi Ashra, Congrats on the new Uke! I looked at some pictures of that model online, and it sure looks nice. Does it have a low or high G string? I have been playing a tenor that Haole John loaned me, but I am looking for one to buy. I just don't know which one to get! I do like the low G that the loaner has on it.

DAPuke
06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Awesome, congratulations! I have the same uke. I would suggest putting a set of Aquila strings on it. I did and it improved the sound alot. Enjoy!
Don

PhilUSAFRet
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Congrats and Welcome. Try Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp to learn chords.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html

And check out Dr. Uke's Waiting Room for beginning level uke/music theory

lovinforkful
06-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Congrats! Definitely check out Uncle Rod's Boot Camp - I wish I had known about it when I first started playing.

mm stan
06-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Aloha Astra,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and congratulations on you new ukulele, Leila...Have fun and enjoy...Google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for some awesome ukulele tutorial videos and Dr. Uke
for songs, chords and instructions..Happy strummings MM Stan

hapuna
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Awesome, congratulations! I have the same uke. I would suggest putting a set of Aquila strings on it. I did and it improved the sound alot. Enjoy!
Don
+1 The Makala strings aren't as good as they could be so after you beat them up a little change out to some nicer strings and you will think you are playing much better ;)

Ashra
06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for your kind replies! I actually got inspired to play ukulele after seeing one being played at a friend's birthday party. My boyfriend and I went to his friend's party at a coffee shop, and a very cool, down to earth young woman brought her Lanikai soprano and played a few songs. The last song she played was Ob La Di, Ob La Da to which everyone sang and clapped along to- it was really fun and heart warming. She said she'd only been playing for 3-4 months and that it was really easy to pick up and she really loved playing it. The whole experience as well as her enthusiasm really inspired me to play.

I've tried to play guitar but it's not for me. I was born with pinkies that only go to the first knuckle of my ring fingers, so playing a guitar can be difficult- I don't have to worry about that on my uke! The tenor really seems the perfect size for me. I may get a dolphin someday once I'm better as a sort of travel uke. I already treasure Leila to the point that I'm very careful when handling her. I just need to get or make a case for her and I'll be complete!

Chindog, I asked my boyfriend if it is low or high G tuning as he is a long time guitar player, but he said he didn't know. I would recommend the MK-T though. I really like the sound, even on the non-Aquila strings, and it fits really nicely in my arms when playing. I got it from here: http://www.dammmusic.com/storefront/searchitem.aspx?text=ukulele

In store it was $57.99, which seemed like a really good deal. They seem to have a lot of good deals on their ukes, honestly. I'm trying to get my sisters to go buy a dolphin and join me in playing. I tried to get my boyfriend to get a uke also, but all he does is pick up and strum Leila every once in awhile. Maybe he'll get to enjoying it so much he'll get one of his own. A girl can dream ;)

I intend on starting the uke boot camp. I really want to get proficient before the end of the year so I can play for my family during my birthday or on xmas. Thanks again for all the advice and the warm welcome! So glad to be a part of this amazing community! Thanks again and take care. ~Ashra

Huna
06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a Makala MK-T and it was like the second uke I got! I like it as one of the best of my ukes. I also have a concert and a baritone Makala. They are all great. the MK-T is the prettiest though of the three. I tried it low G but like it better high G. I put Martin Fluorocarbons on it but on my Concert I left the GHS on it for quite a while before changing them to aquilas. I shouldn't have changed them actually as I think the GHS were better than the aquilas. I like the sound of the GHS. I like GHS and Martin on those Makalas.

itsme
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Welcome to UU, Ashra! :)

Chindog, I asked my boyfriend if it is low or high G tuning as he is a long time guitar player, but he said he didn't know.
Odds are it's high G, as most ukes come that way. High G gives the more traditional "ukey" sound when strumming, whereas low G will give you some extended range if you get into fingerpicking.

Assuming you're right handed and playing as a righty, pluck the two strings closest to your face. If the one closest to your face is a higher pitch than the next one, it's high G.

guitarman
06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Congrats! Having a new uke and learning is always a joy! Inspiration is the fuel to better playing. Maybe some pics of the new uke? :)

nelly
06-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Welcome ashra!!

Nickie
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Ashra,
Welcome and congratulations! I am a short timer too, and have already played out in public (company picnic) once. And nobody threw food!
Have fun! Love your posts.