Now that's progress

roxhum

Reaction score
One of the first songs I learned back last September was Sloop John B. I was kind of obsessed with it. I struggled with the calypso strumming pattern and I had multiple versions and choose the one I liked best. It was really hard and probably too advanced for where I was at that time. I saw that song today and played if for the first time since fall. It was so easy. I tore through my music looking for the difficult version I originally learned. I came to the conclusion that this was the difficult version. Progress. It felt good.

Well congratulations. With practice, you'll just keep getting better and better. That's just how it works (unless you are old like me and have trouble with your memory.)

Aloha Roxhum,
Take things in stride and they will come, enjoy the journey...part of the process is realizing things..Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Progress reports are my favorite threads. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!

I'm going to break out my Daily Ukulele and give "Sloop John B" a strum in your honor, roxhum!

Congrats! It's always nice to make progress! I had a little moment of that when I realised I could do the beat to lots of songs with the down AND up strum!

Congratulations! Nice to hear when other UUers are making progress.

Good on Ya, Roxhum!!! Well done!!! Whoo Hooo!!!

Remember, the road to mastery goes something like this:

Unconscious Incompetence - don't know and can't do

Conscious Incompetence - know but can't do

Conscious Competence - know and can begin to do

Unconscious Competence - it just flows

There are threshholds at every level but crossing them can come and go so
quickly it seems they are not there. the trickiest is the last one which usually
just happens 'the next time we play' after a brief (or long) hiatus.

Spaced Repetition is the key - do it, rest, then do it some more followed by
some more rest, etc. Before you know it, you've got it!

Keep uke'in',

Congratulations! I've found that progress shows up sometimes in strange ways. Once, I was trying to learn a song with an unusual strum. I set it aside, tackled some other songs with more conventional strums. When I came back weeks later to the song with the unusual strum, I was able to play the strum without any problems. I think that in the weeks I was away from the song with the unusual strum, I became more proficient with strumming generally, and that made it possible to play the unusual strum, even though I hadn't practiced it for those several weeks.

I really need to learn some strumming patterns. I just strum what I feel.

Top Bottom