Uke with Slot head?

Pegheds-DET.jpg

Fluke ukuleles use a single slot head and it looks like standard peg tuners. These are actually quite lightweight because the slot is so large and the pegs are very light.

I have 2 slotted-headstock tenors...a Moore Bettah and an MP. I don't have them with me as I'm at work but I'll get measurements when I get home. Neither feel heavy to me.

Pics:
Moore Bettah:
16.jpg

13.jpg

MP:
DSCN0568.jpg

DSCN0576.jpg

Last edited:
My eight string ukulele has a slotted head with
geared tuners! Yes its a tad heavy but with eight
tuners you have to expect that!

I use Grover Sta-Tites on mine. They are meant for guitars.

Yes, you might say that it adds some weight with the size of the tuners. Other smaller lighter options are available, but unfortunately they do come at a premium price. Head stock may be thicker but you are hogging out a lot of the material for the slots.

As long as your instrument balances at the heel/body join any increase in weight will not be an issue. If you feel that balance is going to be off then as Chuck, myself and I'm sure others do, use a neck material that is lighter (make sure its stiff and stable though), or you can counterbalance that extra weight in the peg head by making your tail block heavier.

Attachments

• Honduran Rosewood Tenor 109.jpg
    Honduran Rosewood Tenor 109.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 55
Dave Talsma used the new Gotoh Stealth tuners on my slotted headstock. It kept it thin and light. Not even 1/2 inch thick.

Those are SWEET! Like them a lot....

Top Bottom