First Position Chord Shapes

deadpool

Reaction score
After reading the D Chord thread, I pulled out the chord chart and a fret board "map" and started playing around with the major chords to see where the root, major third and perfect 5ths were on various chords. It suddenly occurred to me that there was some correlation to the guitar. Such as:
G Chords on Uke = D chord shape on guitar
D chords on uke = A chord shape on guitar
C chords on uke = G chord shape on guitar etc.
Then I noted that each of these is 5 chords apart.

Am I crazy or is this generally correct? :confused:

PS: I searched for this first but didn't find a thread

You're not crazy, Mike. You're observant.

I played guitar for years before I played ukulele. After I noticed that relationship, it still took me months to learn the names of the ukulele chords. Actually, after four or five ukulele years and over twenty guitar years, I'm still learning names of chords for both instruments. Heh.

I played guitar for years before I played ukulele. After I noticed that relationship, it still took me months to learn the names of the ukulele chords. Actually, after four or five ukulele years and over twenty guitar years, I'm still learning names of chords for both instruments. Heh.

Is that like Dog years and Human Years? The intervals between the strings is the same on the guitar (top four strings) and the uke. That is why the chord shapes are the same. But you all already knew that. Just like to hear myself type..

I have noticed that after several years of ukulele I don't think chord names as much as I do shapes.
On both guitar & ukulele if someone asks what chord I am playing I need to actually think about it.

Top Bottom