FS: Two Concert Ukes

geelinus

Reaction score
Oscar Schmidt OU5E Concert Ukulele

This electric/acoustic concert uke sounds & looks quite nice, is in excellent condition, and comes with a gig bag.

Specs:

UK-300 pre-amp (factory installed)
Laminated Hawaiian koa body
Abalone top inlays
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge
Grover tuners

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

$170 shipped

Cordoba 25CK Concert Ukulele
SOLD!

Please contact me with any questions via email:

paulagelinas AT yahoo.com

Last edited:
Oscar Schmidt OU5E Concert Ukulele

This electric/acoustic concert uke sounds & looks quite nice, is in excellent condition, and comes with a gig bag.

Specs:

UK-300 pre-amp (factory installed)
Laminated Hawaiian koa body
Abalone top inlays
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge
Grover tuners

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

$170 shipped

Cordoba 25CK Concert Ukulele

This is a great sounding concert uke in excellent/like new condition and comes with a polyfoam hardcase.
Specs:

Solid Portuguese Koa Top
Solid Portuguese back and sides

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

$210 shipped

Please contact me with any questions via email:

paulagelinas AT yahoo.com

the cordoba is acacia. It isn't koa. Just wanted to throw that out there for new guys and gals. But that price is super good.

Last edited:
Correct info for the "guys and gals It indeed is Koa, the same strain of koa that grows in Hawaii except it grows in Portugal and must be called Portuguese
Koa. This issue has been resolved...it simply is not acacia

i need proof. I am under the impression that koa only grows in Hawaii (hence name koa) and that Hawaiina koa is a strand of acacia. so it is similar to a square being a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square? The last thread about this topic mentioned some guy growing koa in san fran but I stopped reading it. I know when I called cordoba a few years ago, I was told the wood is similar to koa and they called it portuguese koa b/c it was acacia.

A little effort provides much proof. Hawaiian Music Supply is now selling Cordoba, here is a quote from their listing "All Solid (Portuguese grown) Hawaiian Koa Top, Back & Sides • Cordoba UK2000 2Band Active Piezo Electronics"

Very interesting...take seeds and plant it in another country...hmmm...I wonder if it's like Cuban cigars vs. Dominican? Maybe a better example would be Indian and Brazillian Rosewood?? Don't know enough about wood but grapes in different region taste different, no?

Hmmmmm, seem to me you should be the one providing proof.....no disrespect, believe me.

A little effort provides much proof.

Hawaiian Music Supply is now selling Cordoba, here is a quote from their listing "All Solid (Portuguese grown) Hawaiian Koa Top, Back & Sides • Cordoba UK2000 2Band Active Piezo Electronics"

Quote from Cordoba Website:
"Koa Top • Koa Back & Sides • Matte Finish • Ebony Fingerboard • Mahogany Neck • Wengé Veneer Headstock."

I still don't believe it. Hawaiian Koa only grows in Hawaii. When i was foirst looking to buy an ukulele I discovered cordoba and wondered why the price was so much cheaper than other koa ukuleles. I ended up calling cordoba directly and was told that it was portuguese koa which isn't the same as hawaiian koa or brazilian koa. it was similiar. Then I came here and realized that portuguese koa and brazillian koa and other koas were acacia just like hawaiian koa but koa was added to the name to maybe mislead. I am doing research now on it and all I find is portuguese koa is in ukuleles made by cordoba or from sites that sell cordobas. I will look into it more. But for now, I don't believe it and I think portuguese koa is marketed that way to mislead the uninformed. Just my opinion. And until a botanisit chimes in, I will not be wavered.

Koa only grows in Hawaii and is a sub speicies..because or the tropical weather...well maybe in some other south pacific islands.. growing conditions affect the wood itself..even if the same seed
is planted elsewhere...what one reviewer is saying may not be exactly true due to his lack of correct information....in my opinion.. Ukulele world, he calls it portugese koa, in that statement it is true..
as they are not stating it is true koa...big difference...there in your interpetation..and yes, even the same stain, grown elsewhere due to climate conditions the product will be different...

Last edited:
OK. I just got off the phone with Hawaii Music Supply. I was told it is acacia but koa was acacia. The wording on the website comes directly from cordoba. The Portuguese koa is acacia. Similiar to Hawaiian koa but not Hawaiian koa. In order to be called koa it must come from hawaii.

I agree, Hawaiian Koa only grows in Hawaii. The bottom line is that it's exactly the same variety of koa, not a cousin, not a similar tree, but exactly the same strain except it grows in Portugal. You are correct, Hawaiian Koa only grows in Hawaii. This tree does not stop being koa because someone planted some trees in Portugal any more than merlot stops being merlot because the grapes are grown in another location. Just sayin. You are entitled to your opinion, but if this were my listing, I'd be pretty miffed at you.

Let's knock this off, this guy is trying to sell his ukes. LOL I'll stop if you will :)

LOL!! I know but that is my pet peeve. It is a marketing scam by cordoba. I was almost mislead by it. I know it isn't his fault. Just some one may buy it thinking it was koa, when it isn't.

I didn't write this, just found it on the web, but wanted to share.

They now just call them Koa because the wood is actually from “hawaiian” koa trees that grow in Portugal. These trees do not suddenly become “acacia” just because they grow in Portugal any more than a Hawaiian Mango would stop being a Hawaiian Mango just because the seed was planted in the Philippines.

Great deal on the Cordoba. Wish I needed another concert. I have the OU5 without pickup and while not loud, it's a sweet sounding little uke, projects nicely, nice resonance, with Aquilas. Good luck.

Wow! 15 replies and not one has anything to do with buying my ukes. :-(

Wow! 15 replies and not one has anything to do with buying my ukes. :-(

OK I'll bite. Would you consider shipping to Australia? Interested in the Koa/NotKoa/IsTooKoa/Acacia/NOTAcacia/NOTHAWAIIANKOA/ISTOO!! but will have to dissapoint a good friend who I am negotiating with for a new uke :( :( :(

Last edited:
I have a cordoba soprano with worth browns and it is right at the top of my collection. The other ukes cost a lot more but the cordoba was the best sound for the money.

Oh, and about the Koa vs Portuguese Koa vs Acacia argument, unless it's made from tonewood of the Acacia Melanoxylon, you can't call it Acacia without misleading, as Acacia is the common term used for tonewood of that species. If it is tonewood of the Acacia Koa species, then call it that, and if it is grown in Hawaii just call it Koa as that is the common term, and if it is grown in Portugal call it Portuguese Koa for want of a more accurate term, but don't mislead by calling it Acacia.

The technical name is Acacia Koa. It is in the same family

Gee, I can raise quite a ruckus without even half trying! I chalk it up to "poor potty training."

I just deleted all of my distracting replies. What say rest of them?

Last edited:
The koa/notkoa/istoo/isnot acacia/is too should be moved to a new thread and let this poor guy sell his ukes. that being said, here's my 2 cents.

One thing is certain, the name, whether koa, acacia, or some other type of acacia species won't guarentee the end result. That's one of the reasons why you can play ukes made of the same species and some will sound good and others not so good. I bet that uke made out of old pallets sounded pretty good.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?46904-Pallet-Tenor-Ukulele&highlight=pallet

Last edited:
Top Bottom