Custom Build Tenor - Your input is.....

garywj

Reaction score
I'm considering having a ukulele custom made for me. It will be mahogany tenor size with a slot head. What suggestions would you have for me to take into consideration? I already am talking to a luthier and think I have taken most things into account, HOWEVER, maybe one of your ideas is just the thing I'd like to add to the mix. Thanks in advance for your input.

I'd probably want my binding to be somewhat "distinctive."

Tuners...seems like lighter tuners are preferred but it's a price point issue but I don't think you're too concerned about price if you are getting custom and looking at your collection. :p

Does your luthier already build ukes? A lot of guitar makers turned uke makers overbuild their first instruments, then they underbuild the next ones, then they get it right...

Thanks everyone for the input, and please keep it coming. So far, the comments have been very helpful.

Does your luthier already build ukes? A lot of guitar makers turned uke makers overbuild their first instruments, then they underbuild the next ones, then they get it right...

Ha! This is true. Like Goldilocks and the Bears. I've been working with a luthier who regularly builds guitars. When I showed him my good ukuleles, he was floored that they are so lightly braced and the wood is so thin.

I pretty much had all the specs for my custom figured out before contacting the luthier (haven't started it yet, but I'm on his build schedule!). A custom should be that thing you can only get because it's perfect just for you - our opinions shouldn't mean much to you! My custom has a very specific body shape, neck width, wood components - if all you have in mind is "a mahogany uke" then get yourself a top quality production uke and save some money!

Top Bottom