PDA

View Full Version : new uke day!

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Just a little sneak peak... more later...

NatalieS
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Wheee!!!! Can't wait to see more pics! Did you pick the one that sounded really nice?

mm stan
06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Congratulations on your new Kamaka pineapple...weee Happy Strummings..MM Stan

mds725
06-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Beautiful headstock, nicely bookended. I can't wait to see the rest of the ukulele.

@Stan - love the new "Mystery Man" blurb next to your avatar.

deadpool
06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Post more pics when you need a break from playing it for a little while. Trying to wait patiently for my uke to arrive. I can only wish it was a Kamaka Pineapple!

Mike

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
So... with one of my uke playing friends accompanying me, I went to the shop to pick up my on-hold Kamaka pineapple today. I noticed that the *other* Kamaka pineapple - the one I thought was prettier, but didn't sound as good - was still there. One of the managers took it down for me, played it a little, and - hey, that doesn't sound so bad after all, I thought... I took both pineapples off to the back room and my friend and I alternated playing them. The Pretty One kept coming out the winner every time. A couple of the other employees weighed in and were in favor of the Pretty One too. I started to get really confused - I had been so certain that the Plain One had the better sound. Fortunately my uke instructor walked in and saved the day - even though both he and I had liked the Plain One best a few days ago, today the Pretty One was the winner. And that's the one that came home with me.

The stock strings actually didn't sound bad at all to me, and I considered keeping them on for a while, but I just don't care for the way they feel. So I had some Martin flurocarbons I'd been wanting to try, and that's what I put on. So far, I like them a lot - they are LOUD though!

The date of manufacture on the new uke is February 14, 2011. Coincidentally, that was the last day of my Hawaii trip this year. On that day, I hiked Diamond Head, hung out at the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian, spent way too much money in way too many ABC stores, and had a lovely evening with friends listening to music at House Without a Key. And I love that this uke will always remind me of that day :)

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Post more pics when you need a break from playing it for a little while. Trying to wait patiently for my uke to arrive. I can only wish it was a Kamaka Pineapple!

Mike

So what did you get?
Ha, you totally knew what I was doing :)

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Wheee!!!! Can't wait to see more pics! Did you pick the one that sounded really nice?

Yes, yes I did :)

And - your turn to tell us about YOUR new uke! (Or did I miss it?)

deadpool
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
So what did you get?
Ha, you totally knew what I was doing :)

shoot, I just got a Kala KA-C. It is my first uke to see if I like it. I capoed up a guitar today (5th fret) and played around with some ukulele chords. Sounded pretty cool. I put two mandolins up for sale today too, so provided all works out, I will upgrade soon and keep the Kala as a travel uke. UAS has set in and I haven't even got the first one yet LOL!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Your ukulele is also your valentine! Very sweet. Congratulations!!

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
shoot, I just got a Kala KA-C. It is my first uke to see if I like it. I capoed up a guitar today (5th fret) and played around with some ukulele chords. Sounded pretty cool. I put two mandolins up for sale today too, so provided all works out, I will upgrade soon and keep the Kala as a travel uke. UAS has set in and I haven't even got the first one yet LOL!

Well, you need *at least* two :)

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Your ukulele is also your valentine! Very sweet. Congratulations!!

Thanks! Too bad I'm not the type who names my ukes - Valentine would be a great name.

mds725
06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Congratulations again! It IS pretty. It's funny how it sounded better on THE DAY than it had when you first tried it out, like it was trying harder or something. I'm glad you and an ukulele with a birthday that's a significant day for you found each other. So now I'm rooting for the Plain One to find a loving home as well.

pdxuke
06-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Well done, Jane. It's pretty. Very happy that you're part of the pineapple family!

MauiWowie
06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
gratz on your uke, cant wait for my Kamaka even more! :P

Lexxy
06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Jane, you are now a 100% Kamaka uke player! Just noticed that :P

mm stan
06-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Kamaka Pineapples are the sweetest...by far...enjoy and have fun...MM Stan

RyanMFT
06-10-2011, 08:53 PM
What a beautiful ukulele, I am sure it will bring you a great deal of joy!

janeray1940
06-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Jane, you are now a 100% Kamaka uke player! Just noticed that :P

And if I don't sell the HF-1, then all I need is a tenor to have a complete set :)

joeybug
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Yay for new Ukes! Happy Kamaka Uke Day! Looks like a real beauty!! :drool:

Teek
06-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Congrats! Pineapples are just the sweetest little thangs! ;)

guitharsis
06-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Congrats, it's a beauty!

Hippie Dribble
06-11-2011, 12:50 AM
congrats Jane, I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE my Kamaka Pineapple. So sweet and great volume, beautifully rounded tone. Yours is gorgeous. :)

NatalieS
06-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Oh it's soooo pretty! I'm a fan of the really red koa that Kamaka seems to use quite a bit. Hey Jane, how do you think it sounds next to your other sizes? To me, it sounds like a really full soprano or a mini-me concert. :D

Tantal
06-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Spendid. Simply splendid. Congratz :)

molokinirum
06-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Congratulations on getting a super sweet Kamaka Pineapple!!! Love the grain!

roxhum
06-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Congratulations Jane! It is stunning and I loved the story behind it of your last day in Hawaii and valentines day no less. Very sweet. You and Natalie have given such entertainment this week, drama and mystery.... I was certain you were getting Natalie's pineapple. This is your first brand new Kamaka isn't it? Do you ever post videos. I would love to hear you play.

hopkid
06-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Great choice! The pineapple is stunning! Say, did it come with the case in the photos? Both of my white labels came in the same style case with the yellow-orange fur inside. Are those cases the stock Kamaka cases?

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh it's soooo pretty! I'm a fan of the really red koa that Kamaka seems to use quite a bit. Hey Jane, how do you think it sounds next to your other sizes? To me, it sounds like a really full soprano or a mini-me concert. :D

That's my first impression too - it's the closest I've found to the sound of one of the concert ukes, in a much smaller package. The volume and full sound of this thing amazes me!

I might record a comparison later today - pineapple to HF-1 soprano, and pineapple to concert. Not sure how fair it would be - the Martin fluoros I put on the pineapple are crazy loud (in a good way) and the other ukes have Aquilas that are very nicely settled in.

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Congratulations Jane! It is stunning and I loved the story behind it of your last day in Hawaii and valentines day no less. Very sweet. You and Natalie have given such entertainment this week, drama and mystery.... I was certain you were getting Natalie's pineapple. This is your first brand new Kamaka isn't it? Do you ever post videos. I would love to hear you play.

There were a few moments when I thought I was getting Natalie's pineapple too :) I know I would have loved it, but as you noted, this is my first brand-new instrument and I figured I should go for it while I could.

I'm completely camera-shy so I don't do videos at all. I've posted some stuff on Soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/janeray-1) but nothing really recent. Most of what is there was recorded when I first started working on a song, with the intent of tracking my progress, but - well, my follow-through hasn't been very good.

pdxuke
06-11-2011, 08:31 AM
That's my first impression too - it's the closest I've found to the sound of one of the concert ukes, in a much smaller package. The volume and full sound of this thing amazes me!

I might record a comparison later today - pineapple to HF-1 soprano, and pineapple to concert. Not sure how fair it would be - the Martin fluoros I put on the pineapple are crazy loud (in a good way) and the other ukes have Aquilas that are very nicely settled in.

Hey Jane: I'm growing tired of my stock Kamaka strings on the concert. I think I'm gonna try the Martins on it--will let you know!

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Great choice! The pineapple is stunning! Say, did it come with the case in the photos? Both of my white labels came in the same style case with the yellow-orange fur inside. Are those cases the stock Kamaka cases?

Oh, the case! It didn't come with the uke but I sure wish it did. I think it's about 20 years old. I love that thing - light and small and just enough protection. I wish they still made them like that.

The stock Kamaka cases are like the one in this photo. They're nice, but lacking a certain something. Yellow-orange fur, no doubt :)

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Hey Jane: I'm growing tired of my stock Kamaka strings on the concert. I think I'm gonna try the Martins on it--will let you know!

I'm curious to know what you think - don't you use Martins on your mahogany ukes? I have a feeling some might find them too... brash or something? on koa but so far I really like it. I'm starting to realize that I like a very clean, bright sound, and I don't like the lowest string, whether C or G, to be overpowering at all. The Martins are very nicely balanced.

pdxuke
06-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm curious to know what you think - don't you use Martins on your mahogany ukes? I have a feeling some might find them too... brash or something? on koa but so far I really like it. I'm starting to realize that I like a very clean, bright sound, and I don't like the lowest string, whether C or G, to be overpowering at all. The Martins are very nicely balanced.

I do use them on all my mahogany ukes and love them. That's why I'm pleased to hear you like them on the Kamaka. I was thinking of trying them, and this tips the scales.

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh and - how could I forget to take a picture of the back yesterday? Guess I really wanted to be playing it rather than admiring it.

hopkid
06-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Oh, the case! It didn't come with the uke but I sure wish it did. I think it's about 20 years old. I love that thing - light and small and just enough protection. I wish they still made them like that.

The stock Kamaka cases are like the one in this photo. They're nice, but lacking a certain something. Yellow-orange fur, no doubt :)

So to which uke does the yellow-orange fur case belong?

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 09:27 AM
So to which uke does the yellow-orange fur case belong?

Until yesterday, it was a free agent. A music shop owner gave it to me some time ago when I asked her if she had any old, funky ukulele cases for sale. She looked at me as if I was nuts and said I could have it :)

The only downside of buying a new Kamaka locally instead of directly is that the case isn't included. I was very happy that this one fit, because cases to fit pineapples are few and far between.

Although I would not have been too upset if I had to order one of these Kamoa cases (http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/KFGC2-RED.htm).

hopkid
06-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I love that decal on the Kamaka case. It seems to me that this case suits your style much more than the Kamoa one. ;)

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 10:33 AM
It seems to me that this case suits your style much more than the Kamoa one. ;)

I agree :) While I like things that are new and shiny and red, I like things that are old and well-loved and broken in better sometimes.

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Quick and dirty sound samples of the HP-1, HF-1, and HF-2 here (http://soundcloud.com/janeray-1/sets/three-kamakas/).

wickedwahine11
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Congrats on the uke, I love the fact it was born on the day you last visited Hawaii -- and Valentine's Day to boot.

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the uke, I love the fact it was born on the day you last visited Hawaii -- and Valentine's Day to boot.

The funny thing is - you have no idea how hard I tried to buy a uke when I was there! I knew I wanted a Kamaka pineapple, and the entire trip the only one I saw was the one on display in the factory. Which they wouldn't sell me; believe me, I asked :) The universe was trying to tell me that it was just a matter of time before the right uke found its way into my hands.

hmgberg
06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Wonderful Kamaka, Jane! Congratulations. I'm happy for you. Great story about its b-day, too. Tenor, anyone?

janeray1940
06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Wonderful Kamaka, Jane! Congratulations. I'm happy for you. Great story about its b-day, too. Tenor, anyone?

Thanks! And yeah, probably, some day... a tenor :)