Best solid Koa top uke?

mthurman52

Reaction score
My friend is looking for a koa uke. He said he really wants a solid koa uke but he only has $300 to $350 tops to spend on it. He said that if the top was solid and the sides maybe laminate than thats ok. I know Ohana makes one...the CK-200G. Any others you guys know of?

I forgot to mention he wants a concert size!

Last edited:
I think Mele makes a solid koa topped solid mahogany uke, but I don't think it's within his price range. If he can live with solid acacia, he can get some nice ones.

not sure what scale you're after but Duane Heilman of Black Bear is making a bunch of solid koa sopranos and selling them for $350 at the moment. great ukes those ones.

I have a Lanakai NK-T tenor and it sounds nice especially with a low G set for about $350-360. It has a nice curly Koa top and veneer sides and back. Mellow sound, not as much volume as my Mainland red cedar, but then cedar and spruce tend to be louder than mahogany and I guess koa (this is my only koa so I am no expert), look at their widespread use in guitars. He would want the NK-C for concert size. If he plays guitar he might like the tenor best.

I've got a couple solid Acacia, but they are tenors well within that budget, with hard cases. Let me know if he might be interested in more details. The only concert I have available at the moment is a solid mahogany.

Aloha mthurman52,
Ditto on Roxhum's suggestion on the KPK. IMHO, great value at that price point.....................BO...................

While Kanile'a does make incredible instruments, I think their prices are DEFINITELY out of a $300 range. lol.

Aloha mthurman52,
Ditto on Roxhum's suggestion on the KPK. IMHO, great value at that price point.....................BO...................

I agree..check them out!!!

Top Bottom