exotic wood kanilea/

I've seen that uke up on ebay several times now. I guess it has never met the reserve price. But I was wondering about it too. I guess the seller just contacts Joe Souza and has him build a uke using a fancy non-orthodox wood, and gets an "exotic" inlay on the headpiece. I wonder how they sound though.

Personally, I'm not too big on the weirdness of the color. It's unique, but it's just not for me.

I actually really like the color, and would be curious to hear the sound.

That said, people who charge over fifty bucks to ship anger me. For that much money, it better come to my house within five hours, wrapped in gold leaf.

I personally refuse to bid on items on ebay where the buyer is obviously inflating their profits by overcharging for shipping & handling. It's so sneaky and underhanded.

I've talked to Kanilea about these. Apparently these guys buy their own wood and Kanilea builds these one off customs for them. And, not only is the shipping rediculous, they don't include a case.:confused: They had one made from Curly Walnut that was really stunning to look at. Joe Souza's wife commented on it saying she wished she could have kept it for her own.

Last edited:
Note that purpleheart turns brown with age and exposure to light...

I actually got one of these ukes from this seller... I got a bearClaw Spruce top with purple heart body, fretboard and bridge....Mahogony neck. The Instrument is beautiful and sounds great. Interestingly the down stoke has a bright sound and upstroke very warm...fun to play and nice to look at. I have also seen his walnut tenors and man they look amazing...but nothing beats my KANILEA Koa Tenor DLX. that is my baby...

I think it's beautiful wood. Snazzy, I think is the proper word. It might even age gracefully into a more standard brownish tinge.

I'd like to hear it in person, though.

Top Bottom