Any love for 8 string?

benybrady

Reaction score
Just purchased a Lanikai 0-8 tenor new on E-bay site unseen or unheard. Solid spruce top and ovangkol laminated back and sides. Never thought the seller would accept my bid dooooouuuhhhh too late. Any love for this Uke? or 8 strings in general.
Thx Brudda's

I have a Lanikai 8 string and its terrific.
Better on certain songs mind you,not
for everything you may play.But a lot
of the Beatles stuff sounds great on it
and obviously,anything by the Byrds!

I've been interested in getting an 8-string for a while now, I do ike the look of the Spruce Lanikai but feckin' hell, how can they justify the price of them? It's rediculous! They cost more than I paid for my 12-string acoustic guitar!

I have not yet had the chance to play an 8 string...would live to try one! I have a 6 string that I love to play and the sound is super!!!

I've been interested in getting an 8-string for a while now, I do ike the look of the Spruce Lanikai but feckin' hell, how can they justify the price of them? It's rediculous! They cost more than I paid for my 12-string acoustic guitar!

Nah Brudda, a little over $260 on ebay....or if you are lucky offer a little bit lower.

I had the opportunity to play both of the Lanilai 8-string models at UWC this year, the laminate and the spruce-top. I loved them both! I have always been a big 12-string guitar fan, and the 8-string uke provides that vibe for me. If money were not an issue right now, I'd order one for myself in a heartbeat....

A Kala KA-8 is my latest temptress, I was handed one at my local shop and asked what I though. It made me sound good. Then that evil shop owner said that i could bring her home for $200.... I think I needed to go back real soon...

I played a Kamaka 8 string last night at my ukulele group, it was very sweet. I like the 8 string, but I LOVED the custom 6 string that I played. I'm pretty sure that my next ukulele will be a six string!

I own a Kamaka 8 String. The sound is definitely very interesting and full due to the doubled strings.

But after playing a KoAloha 6 String, I think I actually prefer the way that the 6 string sounds.

I think you'll enjoy your 8 string. It'll definitely add some variety.

I had the same uke for a while (review on my website). Nice sound, full, rich - a teensy bit of a pain to keep in tune but not as bad as friction tuners on any uke. Not the best uke for every song, but a nice one to have in a jam where it provides a good harmonic backdrop. I'm looking for an 8-string bari now - can't seem to find anyone who makes one.

I played a Kamaka 8 string last night at my ukulele group, it was very sweet. I like the 8 string, but I LOVED the custom 6 string that I played. I'm pretty sure that my next ukulele will be a six string!

Yeah, I played the same custom 6 string concert and now I have to have one. It was amazing. I think the luthier that built it used very thin wood. Resonance from concert size was unbelievable.

Love that it sounds like more than 2 ukes! Almost impossible for me to play barre chords.

I have a Lanikai O-8E and it's my main uke. You may have to lower the action a little. Mine had some work done to the nut and saddle and now it plays like a dream. Not difficult to barre at all.

I have an O8-E also, and it's one of my favorites. Got it from
Mim and it plays and sounds great!

On a related note, has anyone ever seen an 8-string that's got an octave pairing for every string course? Is it something doable on a regular 8-string, or does it have to be a custom job due to the tension differences?

On a related note, has anyone ever seen an 8-string that's got an octave pairing for every string course? Is it something doable on a regular 8-string, or does it have to be a custom job due to the tension differences?

I have thought about doing this. I think if you get the right string gauge you'd be fine. At some point I will play around with it, I just love the sound of it as is and haven't found the ambition to fiddle with it yet.

Top Bottom