my apologies...

mketom

Reaction score
Aloha! As I research Hawaii for my trip next month to the 'Ukulele Festival in Honolulu I am learning so much about this island paradise, it's wonderful people, cultures, flora, fauna, everything I can, even some local politics.

So I want to apologize to anyone who thought my treefrog avatar was meant to be a political statement about the coqui issue.
TreeFrogp.jpg

Instead it was just an arbitrary, albiet naive, choice. I just liked the image of this little guy. You'll notice I have replaced it with a beautiful example of a native Hawaiian.

I hope to meet a few of you in Kapiolani Park on 17 July! I'll be the formerly-pale midwesterner with a bad sunburn in a Moore Bettah limited edition black t-shirt and some new rubbah slippahs...

Last edited:
I'm sooo jealous mketom. I'm hoping to be there at next year's one with Bruddah Stan....seems a long way away but time passes quickly too. Have a ball!!!! :)

Aloha! As I research Hawaii for my trip next month to the 'Ukulele Festival in Honolulu next month I am learning so much about this island paradise, it's wonderful people, cultures, flora, fauna, everything I can, even some local politics.

So I want to apologize to anyone who thought my treefrog avatar was meant to be a political statement about the cocqui issue.
TreeFrogp.jpg

Instead it was just an arbitrary, albiet naive, choice. I just liked the image of this little guy. You'll notice I have replaced it with a beautiful example of a native Hawaiian.

I hope to meet a few of you in Kapiolani Park on 17 July! I'll be the formerly-pale midwesterner with a bad sunburn in a Moore Bettah limited edition black t-shirt and some new rubbah slippahs...

No need to apologize. No one was harmed.

Wow, didn't realize the festival was around the corner. I'll have to get in touch with Roy Sakuma soon.

Aloha Mketom,
No apoligies needed....just send the ear plugs...ha ha Yes the Ukulele Festival is just around the corner...weeeee and there's so much to see too....I guess one visit may not be enough..
ha ha...Will be looking for a moore bettah black t shirt...and the shorts and slipahs, we all wear them here..so hard to pick you out....make sure to plan your itinerary because time is precious
and so many things to do when you come here...MM Stan

That's OK Tom, no one would confuse your cute tree frog avatar with the coqui we have here. Which I mostly only see after I've smashed one. Yes folks, we kill the buggahs here. If you've ever spent a sleepness night with the coquis you'll know why.
And BTW Tom, if you dress the way you will at the Sakuma Uke Fest, how will I be able to tell you from me? :)

That's OK Tom, no one would confuse your cute tree frog avatar with the coqui we have here. Which I mostly only see after I've smashed one. Yes folks, we kill the buggahs here. If you've ever spent a sleepness night with the coquis you'll know why.
And BTW Tom, if you dress the way you will at the Sakuma Uke Fest, how will I be able to tell you from me? :)

Thanks everyone. I'm from So. Florida so I grew to expect/tolerate being lulled/annoyed to sleep by frog tunes, but I hear the coqui are really loud and playing havoc with the local ecosystem.

And Chuck, you'll be the handsome one with a nice tan. 30 years out of Florida has paled me, so I'm sure I'll be sporting a nice pink burn after a week in Islands. Or at least that's my plan...

The coqui frogs are not at all like the cute little chirpy frogs that lull you to sleep in parts of the US. Having coquis outside of your bedroom at night is like sleeping in a room full of alarm clocks going off all night. The few hotels we have in Hilo have been severely impacted by the coqui infestation, with customers cutting their vacations short and refusing to pay for the rooms. The problem is so bad that coquis are on the disclosure reports when you sell a home here. Despite efforts of eradication, the state has surrendered it's fight against these pests and the coquis have won. What we really need is some snakes!

Last edited:
Hmmm...I was in Hawaii as a child...this would have been around 64 or 65. We spent several weeks in a small beach cottage out in the sticks on the island of Molakai and I remember every night toads would come out. There were so many it looked like the yard was moving; you literally could not walk from the car to the house without kicking frogs. The little two lane road in front of the cottage looked like it was paved in frog corpses.

Has this problem been going on that long, or were those a different critter? I don't remember them making much noise, but I was only about eight.

John

Hmmm...I was in Hawaii as a child...this would have been around 64 or 65. We spent several weeks in a small beach cottage out in the sticks on the island of Molakai and I remember every night toads would come out. There were so many it looked like the yard was moving; you literally could not walk from the car to the house without kicking frogs. The little two lane road in front of the cottage looked like it was paved in frog corpses.

Has this problem been going on that long, or were those a different critter? I don't remember them making much noise, but I was only about eight.

John

I lived on Moloka'i for 10 years before moving to the Big Island so I know the toads you are talking about. They are not the same as the noisy coqui frogs that came from Puerto Rico several years ago. The toads you are referring to are AKA "cane toads", I believe from Australia. They are not normally a problem except if you are riding a bike on a rainy night. Kids in Australia keep them as pets although if they are roughly handled they can shoot a poison from glands located on their heads. I was temporarily blinded for 24 hours a couple of years ago after getting shot in the eye by one of these critters. They can also be harmful to curious pets. As I said, we need some snakes!

NO snakes!!!!!!!! Thats why I love Hawai'i, because there are no snakes. :stop:

As I said, we need some snakes!

That reminds me of the song about the woman who swallowed a fly. Someday, Hawai'i would need some critter to eat the snakes, and then a critter to eat the critter that eats snakes, and then a critter to eat the critter that eats the critter that eats snakes, and so on. And it would probably turn out that one of those critters also eats koa trees. :eek:

I'm hoping that was supposed to be a joke? I doubt the frogs have reduced the mosquito population significantly. The mongoose says, "Yeah, bring on the snakes!" Hawaii needs more pests.

I'm hoping that was supposed to be a joke? I doubt the frogs have reduced the mosquito population significantly. The mongoose says, "Yeah, bring on the snakes!" Hawaii needs more pests.

The mongoose was a big mistake too...I agree we need to bring the right ones in to counter the problem, not ones that create new problems...

I left before the coqui became an issue.

I remember the bufos, I guess something decreased their population a lot, there were tons of 'em for a while.

Here on the Mainland get possums and skunks and raccoons. Get one .22 too.

Top Bottom