Kala UC series Hard Foam Cases?

maikii

Reaction score
Has anyone here used or seen one of these? If so, your review?

Much less expensive than their regular hard cases, and I assume much lighter as well. They sell for around $35-40.

Lanikai makes similar cases, at a similar price.

However, the Kalas are advertised as including backpack straps, which could come in handy at times. (I don't see that in the Lanikai description.)

I think other manufacturers make foam cases as well.

Your comments on any of them?

I use, and have bought a couple versions of those cases. They all are about the same in quality, and all the ones I have used come with back pack straps. I love em. Great protection, and to be honest, IMHO better and tougher than the more treaditional hard case in that price range. Like said, I think they are lighter than a traditional case, and I like the balistic type nylon. It takes allot of skuffing and abuse without damage. The foam inside is ample and more than the standard cases in that price range. Have a stowage inside as well as the pocket on the outside. I also like the zipper closure better to. I have had latch type come open on me in the past dumping a high dollar Rickenbacker tumbling on the floor, so I have been parinoid of that for the past 30 + years over that, lol.. The zippers work well, and I like the little velcro "seat belt" in there to secure the uke if you ever did pick it up and not have it zipped. Great bang for the buck IMHO.

Got one recently, love it. Throw strap over my shoulder and go. Velcro strap inside to hold Uke in place works very well. Seems like great protection, I feel that it would absorb more shock if you dropped it or ran into something.

Are the ones you use those made by Kala, since they have backpack straps? Or do all brands of the foam cases have them, but only Kala advertises them? (It occurs to me as well, that they could all be made by the same manufacturer, but are branded by the different uke companies.)

I use, and have bought a couple versions of those cases. They all are about the same in quality, and all the ones I have used come with back pack straps. I love em. Great protection, and to be honest, IMHO better and tougher than the more treaditional hard case in that price range. Like said, I think they are lighter than a traditional case, and I like the balistic type nylon. It takes allot of skuffing and abuse without damage. The foam inside is ample and more than the standard cases in that price range. Have a stowage inside as well as the pocket on the outside. I also like the zipper closure better to. I have had latch type come open on me in the past dumping a high dollar Rickenbacker tumbling on the floor, so I have been parinoid of that for the past 30 + years over that, lol.. The zippers work well, and I like the little velcro "seat belt" in there to secure the uke if you ever did pick it up and not have it zipped. Great bang for the buck IMHO.

Got one recently, love it. Throw strap over my shoulder and go. Velcro strap inside to hold Uke in place works very well. Seems like great protection, I feel that it would absorb more shock if you dropped it or ran into something.

So, they have both shoulder amd backpack straps?

I assume, although lighter than a hard case, that they are heavier than a gig bag? Or no?

Are the ones you use those made by Kala, since they have backpack straps? Or do all brands of the foam cases have them, but only Kala advertises them? (It occurs to me as well, that they could all be made by the same manufacturer, but are branded by the different uke companies.)

I "think" I have had a Kala. They all have the straps. They are rolled up and put in the inside compartment. You just clip them on the D rings on the back and go. They come off in case ya dont want them or both on there. All the ones I have seen have them. But, all the ones I have had, all look like they are made by the same place with differnt name brand tags on them. I have "Uke Crazy" The Lanikia, Stagg, and another one or two. They all looked and were the same thing..

So, they have both shoulder amd backpack straps?

I assume, although lighter than a hard case, that they are heavier than a gig bag? Or no?

Yes, they are heavier than a gig bag (altho not by much compared to a good padded gig bag), lighter than a traditional hard case. They have a molded plastic shell, covered with balistic type of nylon. Good padding inside.

(It occurs to me as well, that they could all be made by the same manufacturer, but are branded by the different uke companies.)

You are correct, they are all the same. While most of them are OK, you'll occasionally get one with bad zippers. The handles can also pull away from the case. Check the seams to make sure they don't run out.

You are correct, they are all the same. While most of them are OK, you'll occasionally get one with bad zippers. The handles can also pull away from the case. Check the seams to make sure they don't run out.

This said, I have had about 6 of these types of cases, and have had one of them break a seam, and come loose. It didn't effect the integrety of the case, but one of the seams busted loose on the edge.. Not a deal breaker tho. overall, still good cases.. But when ya first get it, like mentioned above, wouldn'tbe a bed idea to stress the seams jsut to be sure they are secure.

Yes, also--both Lanikai and Kala have the same model #s for them--UC-S, UC-C, UC-T, and UC-B. The photos all look very similar. I see that Musician's Gear also has them, for less-$29. However, they only have Sop and bari, no concert nor tenor. (Also, one wonders whether theirs might be seconds or something? Also probably not as good warranty service, if something goes wrong with the case.))

I wonder though, why the only brand that mentions the backpack straps is Kala?

I've got two of them in tenor size - I shipped my Epi LP Uke to Tudorp in one of them.

The cases have D-rings on the side and on the back, so you can use them with a single shoulder strap on one shoulder, or both straps on the back of the case, and do a backpack style carry.

I keep my ukes mostly in hard shell wooden cases, but have no problem popping the tenors in the Uke Crazy cases for walking around a festival. Everything depends o the duration of my carrying the uke.

-Kurt

I've see pics of the one with the "shoulder straps" and they were the heavier padded straps.I know my Uke crazy has 2 straps but they are smaller abt 1 inch and not padded but they will fit like back pack straps. But some do have the larger straps. The 1 incher works fine it aint like its a large weight.

Last edited:
Yes, also--both Lanikai and Kala have the same model #s for them--UC-S, UC-C, UC-T, and UC-B. The photos all look very similar. I see that Musician's Gear also has them, for less-$29. However, they only have Sop and bari, no concert nor tenor. (Also, one wonders whether theirs might be seconds or something? Also probably not as good warranty service, if something goes wrong with the case.))

I wonder though, why the only brand that mentions the backpack straps is Kala?

There is a tenor case shortage right now. Actually, it's been going on for a few months. The hard shell tenors are nearly impossible to find in any style.

There is a tenor case shortage right now. Actually, it's been going on for a few months. The hard shell tenors are nearly impossible to find in any style.

Well, this thread is not really about hard cases, but about the foam cases. And in fact I just ordered both a tenor and a concert Kala foam case ffrom Austin Bazaar, about $35-36 each.

As i wrote, I ordered the Kala Concert and Tenor foam cases. The reason I ordered Kala rather than Lanikai or other brands, is that Kala advertises "backpack straps", and the others do not. (Although I have surmised that these cases are probably all the same, made by one Chinese manufacturer, just to be sure to get the backpack straps, I ordered Kala.

The tenor case came a couple days ago. In general, I like it. Very protective, yet very lightweight, much room for accessories, etc.

I would add though, that the advertising as having "backpack straps' is kind of a scam, and that is perhaps why the other brands don't mention it.

Before elaborating on that, I will mention that "Uke Crazy cases are Kala Cases. That is just a name that Kala gives to all its cases. The velcro closure says "Uke Crazy" on it, although it is clearly from Kala, drop-shipped to me from Kala.

True, there are two little straps inside the case, with no padding or anything. But what do you attach them to? There is no place on the back to attach backpack straps. There are two pairs of shoulder strap eyelets on the outside of the case--One pair on the side, the other pair on the back.

The only way possible to attach the "backpack straps"is to use the pair of shoulder strap eyelets on the back, and attach one end of both straps to the top eyelet, and the other end of both straps to the bottom eyelet.

However, that sure is not good location for backpack straps! If I loosened the straps very loose I coiuld get them on my shoulder, but otherwse no.

Top Bottom