First public outing

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my first public uke-playing and singing outing last night. I was a bit (a big bit) over-fuelled with red wine, and so were the other people at the party, so none of us could tell whether I was doing ok or not, nor did we much care.

The scenario was a party of about 30 people at a friend's house to celebrate that we have a long weekend. I had been discussing chord progressions and fingerings with the friend's son, who is studying music at the university here, so I brought the uke to get some help. He dragged out a really nice acoustic guitar, and another friend, who plays uke really well, grabbed my uke and had a bash. One thing led to another and before I knew what I was doing I'd played and sung a whole list of songs that I've been practising:
The Real Thing
Dear Prudence
Cry Me A River
Reminiscing
This Guy's In Love With You
God Bless The Child
It's Only A Paper Moon
Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps
Crossroads (I only sang on that one)
The Dubbo Masters Netball Grand Final After Party

I know, video or it didn't happen. Luckily, no video was taken, so I can pretend it went off spectacularly well. What I do know with certainty is that I am badly hung over.

Congratulations on your first preformance...wow what a list of songs..holy smokes...hope it wasn't all in a row...whew...glad to hear you had a great time..Thanks for sharing, MM Stan

I am sure you were spectacular! Great that it wasn't taped so each time you talk about it you can get even better! Great song list! I don't know any of them :)

Hi all,
I had my first public uke-playing and singing outing last night. I was a bit (a big bit) over-fuelled with red wine, and so were the other people at the party, so none of us could tell whether I was doing ok or not, nor did we much care.
If no one could tell, then you did OK. Everyone will just remember that you played ukulele at that party.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. As much as we all might enjoy playing and trying to master the ukulele in the privacy of our own homes, there's nothing quite like the joy of making music with other people.

on ya Bruce!!! Nothin like a little drop of liquid courage every now and then. Re the hangover....mark it down as a badge of honour. Take a couple'a beroccas and buy some greasy chicken and chips. :)

I admire a man who can get blasted and still pull out the instrument (while being egged on by others equally as blasted)- my hat is off! Good on ya! I am playing the setlist in my head (in the absence of video) and it is brilliant.
Now what the heck is a Berocca? Many nights with the redhead have got me thinking I might be missing a miracle cure...

I admire a man who can get blasted and still pull out the instrument (while being egged on by others equally as blasted)- my hat is off! Good on ya! I am playing the setlist in my head (in the absence of video) and it is brilliant.
Now what the heck is a Berocca? Many nights with the redhead have got me thinking I might be missing a miracle cure...

Berocca's are little capsules loaded with Vitamin B Dave. You could eat half a jar of vegemite but that's hard yards to be sure. :)

Nothing like a little jaw lubricant to reduce one's inhibition's about playing/singing in public. My problem is that after a few glasses of wine the quality of my playing drops significantly.

WTG Bruce. It sounds like you had a blast.

OK,,,,ukulele, wine, there must be a bit in there about someone from the opposite sex. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Top Bottom