ipad cannot view videos

rBurg

Reaction score
I cannot view the UU videos on my ipad. Is there a solution or do you have one in progress?

I cannot view the UU videos on my ipad. Is there a solution or do you have one in progress?

That's not UU's fault - the iPad doesn't support Adobe Flash & 99% of the video content on the web is Flash (Apple refuses to support Flash). The only current alternative is for a site to re-post their video content in HTML5, which is a currently non-trivial.

Posting the URL to the video can help. Many times I access on my iPhone/iPad and have to wait until I get to my MacBook Pro laptop or ahem...office computer...to view the videos. But if you include the URL, sometimes we'll be able to view the vids (if not Flash of course). I haven't researched it, but maybe it's partially due to the "insert video clip" tool via the GUI as many of them are YouTube vids that will play out on my iPhone if I have the URL.

That's not UU's fault - the iPad doesn't support Adobe Flash & 99% of the video content on the web is Flash (Apple refuses to support Flash). The only current alternative is for a site to re-post their video content in HTML5, which is a currently non-trivial.

I agree it is not UUs fault but recent stats say flash is only about 40% of web video. I have had good luck just searching YouTube for the content and finding it there. A secondary problem is that the forum posts seem to put some kind of wrapper around the video that makes them invisible on the iPad and iPhone. If I reply with quote I can see the video URL and, more often than not, go straight to it in YouTube.

1) goto http://www.youtube.com/html5
2) opt in to the HTML5 trial
3) now you can watch youtube videos on your ipad

Also what gmoney said is 100% correct, ipads don't support flash so if the video you are trying to watch is being played in a flash player it will never work on your ipad.

I would sell it and buy an android tablet or a uke :)

When using Skyfire on the UU vids I get a lag between audio and video. The older YouTube vids work fine.

Apple need to realise that it is up to them to support existing Internet video technology, not up to millions of websites to tailor their content to Apple's platforms.

I would respectfully suggest that Apple users email the company prompting them to think on that.

If Apple are unwilling to help you then Android and Linux would be happy to! LOL :D

Buddhuu,

Unfortunately, I think Apple made that decision along time ago and probably won't waiver. With schools handing these out as textbooks and over 15 million sold, Apple is forcing everyone to comply with them if you want that audience. Personally I'd rather be outside with the iPad on my lap than in front of a monitor anyday.

It sucks, Apple use to mock the Big Brother and is now becoming one, but thats the sad reality.

Last edited:
Get used to it!

Turns out Apple may be on the leading edge of a trend since Microsoft has announced it will not support flash in it's new tablets either. Fact is, flash kills battery life faster than anything else on portable devices, it's the number one cause of browser crashes, and it's a CPU hog. The biggest question in my mind is, "what took so long?"

Sent from my iPad

Turns out Apple may be on the leading edge of a trend since Microsoft has announced it will not support flash in it's new tablets either. Fact is, flash kills battery life faster than anything else on portable devices, it's the number one cause of browser crashes, and it's a CPU hog. The biggest question in my mind is, "what took so long?"

Sent from my iPad

That may be true, but as popular as flash is, it just seems childish of Apple to refuse to support it until something more efficient and mainstream comes along. People aren't forced to consume flash videos-it's a choice. Apple's products could EASILY support it, and if users want to eat through their battery life by using it, that should be their choice.

I guess I just find it silly that Apple chose not to support flash on products that will be long outdated by the time something newer and better than flash comes along. Flash is one of the reasons I went ahead and went with a Droid rather than waiting for the iphone to come out.

Top Bottom