Ohana Koa vs. KoAloah?

mthurman52

Reaction score
My buddy is still looking for a solid koa. I talked him into spending a little more (he can afford it)! Lol He is looking at the Ohana CK-350G which is the top-of-the-line Ohana and is $375 and the KoAloha Concert for $500. Is the extra bill worth the quality? What about re-sale?

Last edited:
My buddy is still looking for a solid koa. I talked him into spending a little more (he can afford it)! Lol He is looking at the Ohana CK-350G which is the top-of-the-line Ohana and is $375 on Elderly and the KoAloha Concert for $500. Is the extra bill worth the quality? What about re-sale? Here are the links to the two:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1589.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1581.htm

i have never played a solid koa ohana (didn't even know they made one) but I have owned and played a koaloha concert. Koaloha concerts are the best concerts in my opinion. As far as resale, look at elderly's site. that ohana's msrp was $750 new. about the same as the koaloha. used the koaloha is bringing more than $100.

I love the KoAloha's Sound ...never heard too of the solid koa Ohana..but for resale, the Koaloha will hold it's value alot better..well worth the extra bengi....

I don't think there should be any question of what to do here. It's not just that Koaloha is a higher end instrument, but getting one of their concerts for $500 is just too good a price to pass up!

Wow...Koaloha Concert for $500...good deal!!...Mouthy just picked one up for a little bit more and that was a good deal. Ohanas are made in China while Koaloha made in Hawaii!!

KoAloha concert is to this day the sweetest sounding uke I have ever played. I know tone is totally subjective, but this one is a winner- period

Last edited:
Grab the KoAloha!

If I was someone who had the money and zero integrity, I'd a sent them an email and called in a hold on it. Don't be posting those links, just ask the questions, lol. (I actually have the money but also a ton of integrity).

I turned down TWO KoAloha concerts 2 years ago for $350 and $400 respectively, one a local, when I chose my Kamaka instead, but I saw the Kamaka first and had to have it. If I had had the money then would have bought the local KoAloha at the same time.

My KoAloha concert is one of the few ukes that I have never thought about selling. It is a prefect high-g concert. It is loud than many tenors, stays in tune and sounds fantastic.

Get one!

Really!

Both are great ukes, but the KoAloha is a great price. You would have higher re-sale value, but I'd hope that once you play it you would never consider selling it.

The Ohana CK-350G is a beautiful uke. If you went that route, no, you would not have as much re-sale value, but you would be able to get a really nice hardshell case for it and still have money in your pocket. I would not sell either one if I had them in my collection.

Based on aesthetics I wouldn't touch the KoAloha with a bargepole. Looks very plain, and the headstock is just ugly, in my eyes.

Based on aesthetics I wouldn't touch the KoAloha with a bargepole. Looks very plain, and the headstock is just ugly, in my eyes.

Man, do I disagree with you. Mine has gotten tons of complements, it does have more interesting wood, however.

In terms of sound the Ohana cannot touch the KoAloha. I find it funny to even compare the two.

To my KoAloha's defense, it sounds magical. :p

I am an Ohana fanboy, but I also agree that the Koaloha concerts sound great. I have never played a koa Ohana, but if I had the money, I would go for the Koaloha. Other than the ugly-azz bridge on that one, its a beautiful instrument.

Grab the KoAloha!

If I was someone who had the money and zero integrity, I'd a sent them an email and called in a hold on it. Don't be posting those links, just ask the questions, lol. (I actually have the money but also a ton of integrity).

I turned down TWO KoAloha concerts 2 years ago for $350 and $400 respectively, one a local, when I chose my Kamaka instead, but I saw the Kamaka first and had to have it. If I had had the money then would have bought the local KoAloha at the same time.

You made a good choice. The Kamaka concert is also special. Find it interesting though that some people have a strong preference for my KoAloha concert and others definitely prefer the Kamaka concert, my instructor being one of them. I LOVE them both. :)

Back to the OP's question: no doubt about it, KoAloha! You won't regret it. Great price too.

Top Bottom