Currently in Oahu!

lafleurdelion

Reaction score
ALOOOOOHHHHAAAA Fellow Ukesters!

I'm in Oahu, Hawaii for another week. It's been beautiful here! Much more cheerful and warm then Seattle, Washington. Anywho... I hope I don't get into too much trouble for posting something so obvious as I'm sure this question gets asked quite often (I did search though, and found nothing relative as of the moment) but, ...What The "Uke" is there to do around Oahu?

I've been to Hawaii numerous times during port calls in the Navy. Trust me this trip has nothing to do with the restrictions and limitations of those port calls and this "Hawaii" is so much better than the one I remember! Perhaps it something to do with the fact that, now... I've got my eyes WIIIIIDE open, which is all thanks to the ukulele!

However, in my search for all things ukulele here, I have not been finding those gems, that hidden treasure... that I was sure to find no where else. :( This Is THE Place! ...Right? Ha ha ha. :cool: So, just wondering if anyone in the know outside of Oahu or a local connoissuer can help me find luthiers? Shops? Hangouts? Events? Or People I should meet????

In summary, I am hoping to get linked up with Uke Peeps and hopefully find a really unique and beautiful uke to take with me back to the mainland. Fingers crossed and wishing on stars! Any help or encouragement welcome. Any comments or questions; fire away! I'll be here all week!

All my best and Aloha! :spam:
Mahalo
-Adrianna :)

I think the Ko'olau/Pono factory is also on O'ahu. I drove to Hawaiian Music Supply in Wahiawa while I was on O'ahu, and they told me that the Ko'olau/Pono factory was just a few blocks away.

Another possible "in" to the ukulele community is to go to some of the ukulele shops in Waikiki. I stopped at Bob's Ukulele in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, and friends of the guy working there would stop by and play a tune or two with the sales guy before moving on. (Your mileage may vary.) I didn't have the same experience at Ukulele PuaPua, but the people I spoke with there were very knowledgeable and could direct you to places to hear ukulele music.

Go to The Ukebox at the Pacific Beach Hotel. Owned by Jake's brother Bruce. Not sure what all kinds of ukuleles he has, but last I heard he had Kamakas. Maybe Jake'll be there?

my advice...go to Ukulele Pua Pua, Bobs and Aloha Ukulele and try out the ukes then go to one of the local shops to buy when you decide which kind you really like

Hawaii Music Supply
Dan's Guitars
Goodguys music and sound
Easy Music

get local prices there...Waikiki is expensive not because they want to be but their rent is astronimical. Then of course you could call me lol if i can stand up and breath i will have a ukulele for sale

My goodness guys! Thanks sooo much! I'll check out ALL those tips! :) I'll let you know the status and what I end up doing, finding, getting! :) I'm going to go to sleep because NOW I have a ton to do tomorrow! Yayyy!!! Anymore advice please send it my way! I'd rather hear from ya than not. Thanks again!

Really good suggestion. He's at the Kani Kapila Grille at the Outrigger Reef tonight, 6pm-9pm.
We were there last month and saw Brian and Weldon Kekauoha at Kanikapila Grille - I would really recommend going there for some excellent (and Free!) music.

If you're in Waikiki 10-11am Tues thru Friday, go to the Food Court of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and sit in on the Free Ukulele Lessons by Aunty's Wainani (Tues and Thurs) and Puakeala (wed and Fri). When I return home I try to make as many of them as possible. It's really refreshing and inspiring to see newbies learning the basics. And you can be of assistance to those sitting around you.

Also, on some Thursdays at Aloha Tower Mall, around 11a, Gordon Mark gives an hour free lesson, generally focused on picking not just strumming. Call ahead as it's not every Thurs.

Listen to KKNE 940 AM for Traditional Hawaiian Music all the time.

I'll be returning for the Summer about July 10th, Lord willing. I hope there's a good representation of the UU Ohana at the 41st Ukulele Festival at Kapiolani Park on Sunday the 17th.

Keep uke'in',

Top Bottom