Luthier?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
My daughter got married a couple of weeks back and announced to the registrar that her dad's profession was luthier! I've never called myself a luthier and would prefered it if she had said Ukulele Maker - a more accurate description of what I do.

However, I note that even those who have been building a short time with few instruments under their belt and no training are eager to add the appelation 'Luthier' to their name... Is this title important and what does one have to do to earn it? Quite frankly I am surprised and somewhat amused at the number of people who with limited knowledge and experience refer to themselves as such. It is a very bold boast...

Am I being very old school in expecting either college training or an endentured apprenticeship to preceed the right to use the name luthier or is it simply up for grabs for anyone who has graduated from building a Stewmac kit to making a Fox bender and churning out ukulele in their spare time?

And yes, this a serious discussion, probably contentious and most likely to offend - sorry if it does.

Last edited:
Interesting question, Pete -

I would contend you have earned the luthier title by the amount of time you've been in the business, by the quality of your work (as demonstrated by the accolades your instruments receive here and other places), and by the fact that you don't just build instruments you also teach (workshops and videos) and innovate (the harp uke and other projects). I do believe you have EARNED it, even if you don't have a degree or a completed apprenticeship to show for it. The overall body of your work is sufficient.

Now, I would raise an eyebrow at someone using the term on the basis of a few completed instruments. I've contacted Brad Donaldson to build me a uke - I don't know his educational background in the business, but I consider him to be a luthier as well based on the quality of his work and his innovation...

Well, by definition, a luthier is somoene who makes stringed instruments. So technically, anybody who builds stringed instruments is a luthier, even if they're not very good at it. But, of course, the appropriateness of the appellation is always in the eye of the beholder; if I went out and bought some paints and a canvas, I could call myself a painter, but I wouldn't be a very good painter.

In fact, I have built exactly one mandolin. It looked pretty and it sounded really nice, at least until the neck pulled forward in the pocket, raising the action about 10 feet. I now use it primarily for slicing cheese, and am very willing to admit that I am "a guy who tried building a mandolin" and not in any way, shape, or form a luthier.

So I might observe that like the words, "handsome" "clever" and "helpful," the word "luthier" should be defined not by the individual themselves, but by those who are impacted by their output.

I see what you mean Pete. As far as I know, this term is not given specifically to those who have undertaken a course of study/apprenticeship....such as the word "physician", however for me it does indicate someone with a strong skill set and a fair amount of training and experience.

Looking the word up online I find it pretty broad such as "builder or repairer of stringed instruments". I'm interested to hear how others use/interpret this word.

Hi Pete.
I've been building for close to 40 years now. I built quite a few in the '70's, then repairs for 30+ years, then back to building in the 90's mostly guitars, but ukes & mandolins and 1 banjo (blush).

I never liked the term "luthier" as a profession, since I never built a lute mainly, but the word seems pretentious and doesn't say to the general public what I do, which is build guitars. I would much rather be known as a guitar builder or string instrument repairman.

Trouble is, guitar players seem to like the word "luthier" referring to both a builder and a repairman. You can have never built one instrument and only do repairs, and call yourself, and be called a luthier.

I can fully understand a young person, having built one instrument, or even done a little fix-up on a uke or something and calling themselves a luthier.
I was in the Navy, and when it comes up in conversation, I'm always asked "were you a Navy Seal?" I run into guys who say "I was in the Navy, I was a "Seal". Maybe there were 50-75 Seals in total, but there must have been millions, by my count.

Some people hold the term "luthier" in high regard and wear it like a badge of honor. I don't. I just think it sounds pretentious. Like the title should be gilded in gold.
If asked, I'll simply tell people I'm an artist. Or a craftsman. Or a wood wood worker. Or a wood craftsman. Some variation of that. These are things people can understand and it opens up discussion if they want to know more. Nobody has any idea what a luthier is. Sometimes I'll use the term "luthier" on an official form, just to screw with people and confuse them.
I've built over 450 ukuleles. I've never built a lute and I'm proud that I've never built a guitar. But the term "Ukier" just doesn't sound right.

Pete, seems we agree here. I am by no means near that title, and I aspire to not be. Alan Carruth, there's a luthier. So would be Rick Turner, William Cumpiano, et al. Not saying that you (Pete) and others here are not, but again, seems like we agree.

If there were a title that I would aspire to be in this craft, I would take a page from Charles Fox's book, who is a "Stringed Instrument Artisan". Artisan, I like that. But alas, a craftsman I am, and and artist in other's interpretation (little do they know that my art is just a mechanical representation of someone else's work, sometimes).

Call me what you will, craftsman, artist, but not luthier. I just build `Ukulele, and Inlay them (okay, I've built a bass, with another on the way).

-Aaron

Note: David, welcome to the underground. . .

Here's a thought. Consider the possible origin of the words, oud, lute, lutherie and luthier. The text below is from the Wikipedia Lute entry.

"The words "lute" and "oud" derive from Arabic al‘ud (العود; literally "the wood").[1] Recent research by Eckhard Neubauer suggests ‘ud may in turn be an Arabized version of the Persian name rud, which meant "string," "stringed instrument," or "lute."[2] It has equally been suggested the "wood" in the name may have distinguished the instrument by its wooden soundboard from skin-faced predecessors.[3] Gianfranco Lotti suggests the "wood" appellation originally carried derogatory connotations because of proscriptions of all instrumental music in early Islam."

If lute is "the wood" and lutherie is "woodery", then it is a fundamental, basic word. Descriptive rather than pretentious.

I sing in my church choir, but I would never describe myself as a Singer. In other words , if you are a professional with all that implies, then call yourself a luthier. If people actually pay to hear you sing, then you are a Singer, unless..., better not go there.

Last edited:
I usually don't call myself a luthier because most people don't even know what that is.

A luthier is anyone who makes stringed instruments. If making stringed instruments is how you earn your living you are by definition a professional luthier. And if you are able to earn your living by making stringed instruments you have earned that title. Most of us on the forum are amatuer luthiers. This says absolutely nothing about the quality of our work. To infer great experience and skill by calling yourself a luthier is certainly pretensious for an amatuer. But really, until you start applying adjectives like 'master luthier' or 'classically trained luthier,' you haven't made any unsupported claim. So though it may sound excessive to you Pete, and to you Chuck, you are professional luthiers. And like the illustration used of a painter, how good of a luthier you are will be judged by the ukulele buying public. You can be more specific (Ukulele maker, inlay artist, etc.) or less specific (woodworker, craftsman, etc.) but all are accurate descriptions of what you do.

This subject comes up now and then and I'll admit to being somewhat mystified by the emotion the term luthier generates. I have known a lot of instrument builders who get angry if you call them a luthier. As has been pointed out, the definition is one who makes stringed instruments. The implication for me is one who makes money doing so. I guess it boils down to this; what you call yourself, is of little importance, it is what others call you that matters.

Brad

In the absence of any agreed-upon standards of qualification, "luthier" can apply to any builder of string instruments who cares to use it. It's not like "doctor," which requires an education and a government license. Or even "plumber" or "barber" for that matter. I consider myself to be an aspiring luthier or a student of lutherie. I'll award myself the title of Luthier when I think I deserve it or until GAL, ASIA or some other body establishes a standard and starts awarding diplomas. BTW, there is no question that Pete, Chuck and the others who make their livings building ukuleles are Luthiers by any definition of the word.

I guess I would consider myself a luthier in general and a ukulele maker specifically. I enjoy reading both "American Lutherie" and "GuitarMaker" from the two American Guilds and it all seems to fit. If someone asks,I just say "I make ukuleles". If I say "I make ukulele" I get odd looks. I never tell anyone I'm a luthier because it's too general--not that I disagree with it.
It’s the "Master Luthier" that always makes me smirk!

I'm a newbie. Just got my first ukulele last month. But this topic resonates with me.

I love fine instruments. Someday I would like to own one. I've even toyed with the idea of having a ukulele built for me some day with the quality of sound that I can "hear" in my mind.

I first saw the word "luthier" on this forum, and I had to look it up to see what it meant. To me, the word carries the connotation of a master... someone with knowledge pf theory and years of experience building exceptionally fine instruments.

So it also bothers me to see it thrown around so loosely.

I would like to add, though, that I am thrilled to see all the interest in ukulele building, as evidenced in the Luthier forum! And very pleased to see that there are apparently some very fine builders here. :)

all right then... would you call a person that makes pianos a Luthier?

From my point of view, a Luthier is a builds, repairs and has an understanding of stringed instruments (construction and care and feeding) be they guitars ukes, banjos harps and yes, even pianos. as for myself, I've taken a course of study, then worked under and along side some greats in the guitar and uke building game and am proud to call myself a Luthier...

Now I think that there is a merit badge that goes along with study albeit a small badge, the idea that a kit builder can call him or herself a Luthier is a stretch in my book. The art of Lutherie takes insight, intuition, and plenty of experience to mature. it's not an elite club, but a life long pursuit of excellence.

I just looked at my two guild certificates, as close to a diploma as I can find (awarded through the qualifying means of paying my subscription dues.) The GAL certificate says I'm a luthier, and ASIA one claims I'm an artisan of stringed instruments. It's little wonder there is so much disagreement amongst instrument builders. We can't even agree on a name for ourselves. I'm with Brad. Call me anything you want. Just keep calling!
(Now I have to Google "pf theory"!)

It's like if someone asks me "what's your sign"?
I say "I don't have a "sign" but I was born in October."
They say "then you are an Aquarius".
I say "no, that is a zodiac thing, I don't ascribe to that."

It is a choice naming what you are, I'm not an artist, I'm a craftsman. I'm not a luthier, I'm a guitar builder.

I find it odd that the Guild of American Luthiers always has it's convention at a Lutheren college. It is all too confusing.

Top Bottom