Hawaiian Music

guitar2adam

Reaction score
I would like to learn some Hawaiian songs on ukulele. Does anyone have any suggestions for very popular/fun Hawaiian music to learn?

And on a side note...if a guitar is an axe, is a uke a hatchet?

Check out TSH for traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music. You may also wanna check Hawaiian Music Island and listen to samples of a particular song. Most Hawaiian songs are 3-4 chord progressions using major chords. It's just a matter of knowing/remembering the melody of the song. Another site you can check out is Uke Muzik, it has a lot of contemporary artists like Iz, Ka'au Crater Boys, Kapena and Ehukai.

Go to Dominator's site and see if you like Sophisticated Hula. It's pretty fun and not too difficult.

Check out www.tropicalstormhawaii.com for chords and tabs. I would also invest in He Mele Aloha which has over 200 Hawaiian songs with chords and English translations. You can look up the songs on YouTube to hear many of them. Hana hou!!!

Good one! I fo'got about that one . . . A melody reference (midi files) for the songs can be found here. He Mele Aloha is kinda hard to find on the mainland and probably the best place to check would be Borders.

Great stuff. Some of which I wasn't aware of yet. Thanks for the links!

Perhaps UU might start genre sections in the future ;)

T

some of these sites are a bit overwhelming, I too am looking for a good hawaiian song. Does anyone have any suggestions of one or two real good ones?

Last edited:
some of these sites are a bit overwhelming, I too am looking for a good hawaiian song. Does anyone have any suggestions of one or two real good ones?

What do you mean by "good"? Check out IZ's "Facing Future" CD. It's got some great Hawaiian songs. Kawaipunahele CD by K. Rachel is good too.

As far as specific songs, you can't go wrong by learning Ke Kali Nei Au (Hawaiian Wedding Song), Kawaipunahele, Noho Pai Pai, Pua Mana, Wahine Ilikea to name just a few.

Good one! I fo'got about that one . . . A melody reference (midi files) for the songs can be found here. He Mele Aloha is kinda hard to find on the mainland and probably the best place to check would be Borders.

The current edition of He Mele has been out of print for a while and a new one is coming out soon which is why it is difficult to find.

eh bruddah,

how about someting everybody from hawaii knows ... hawai`i pono`i or hawai`i aloha? you can get recordings online, and chords on tropicalstorm.

shootz! have fun eh!

Top Bottom