Reading chord diagrams

kristina*m

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I just started playing ukulele after getting one as a going-away gift (best going-away gift ever? best going away gift ever.) and I'm a little confused about chord diagrams on some of the songs I've been trying to learn. I've played a bit of guitar, so I'm already familiar with the basic chord diagrams, but I'm trying to learn this song:

http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/here-comes-the-sun.pdf

I can strum along with the single chords, but when it comes to the fills and the instrumental parts, I don't understand AT ALL. There are numbers that are too high to be finger numbers, I don't know what I'm supposed to do when, and the string order is reversed from the regular chord diagrams.

Could someone help me out? Thanks in advance!

The example below shows the fret order you're playing on the A and E strings. You first pick the 3rd fret of the E string then open on the A string, followed by the 3rd fret then the 5th and back to the 3rd on the E.
Code:
    F/      C/    F/    C/    G7// 
A |---0-3-5---3-5---3-5---3-5-3-2-0--- 
E |-3-------3-----1-----3-----------3~ 
C |----------------------------------- 
G |-----------------------------------

The numbers taken from the example below are the fret positions i.e. you're pressing the 5th fret of the A string and the 7th fret of the E string simultaneously and plucking them together.
Code:
              Eb/Bb/F/    C   G7// 
A |-5-7-8--8-/10-8--8---8-7- 
E |-7-8-10-10/11-10-8-8-8-8- 
C |-------------------7----- 
G |------------------------- 
]

If you're still confused, check out this thread . . . How To Read Tabs

Ahhh it all makes sense now... thanks so much!
Does that mean that the chords above the fingering chart are an alternative to the finger-picking, if you're not quite ready for that (I'm not sure I am)? Or are they somehow part of the fingering chart and I just don't understand how?
Thanks again!

Top Bottom