Is it a good thing....?

Lexxy

Reaction score
If i prefer to play only ONE uke? I can't seem to be able to have a few ukes at one time.

Heck, I only have a KoAloha Concert and KoAloha Tenor, but man am i having a hard time juggling between them! I would choose one, and play it for the whole week, and then realize. Hey i left that one out..

Is it good!?!?

I think it's perfect. You have 2 really nice ukes. What do ya need any more for? :)

I think it's perfect. You have 2 really nice ukes. What do ya need any more for? :)

Well let's say...I might have to sell these babies when i get my next uke. (This is because of my inability to juggle a few ukes at one time)

The next uke however, is still far away! :)

Now that I technically own four ukes (even though one theoretically is for sale) I've been pondering that one too. When I got my first concert size uke, I thought it would be all that I wanted to play, ever. Now that I have my little soprano pineapple, I feel like *that* is the only one I will ever want to play. And meanwhile I feel really sad for the ones that are going un-played.

And I only have four ukes! I don't see how you folks who have 10+ do it :)

I have several, but at this point can only play one at a time. I'm still working on that though.. seriously a couple are played more than others, but I do try to rotate them around some. Point and case, I can honestly say that last week, I played the Sopranino, the banjole, the Acacia concert, the Epi LP, and the Mahogany tenor, all in one week. Today, I even gave my 1st love the SK-35 "IZ" a bit of attension today. :)

I think one of each size is justified. I myself do not enjoy the tenor size at all though. NOw to add to what I said, in my case I would need 4. One "KEEPER" soprano and Concert and one "travel" concert and soprano. The rest of you might need 6 unless you are in to the baritone too :)

I didn't have much intersts in Tenor either until I got the wife one (I tried to talk her out of it). Setting hers up, I got to really liking them, and got myself one. Now I sell mostly tenors. My favorite now is the Concert, but will always have a love of the Soprano. Never had an interests in Baris, and I don't see that changing anytime soon..

Playing one uke gives you the knowledge of it inside out...it strong points and it's weakness ..and where to play around...you got only two hands anyway....but having more ukes is definetely fun..
and it expands your knowledge of many ukes...

I do think one good reason to keep an extra good uke on hand is having one available to lend when someone comes over to the house (so we can play!) I can't justify six or even four and try to do a good job balacing the time I spend with the three I do have. [Sounds almost like trying to justify "quality" time with children . . . ]

A good thing? It's a great thing! I'm down to just one as well - after a long time I found what I really really like and that's what I have - no desire for anything else (well...the custom I'm having built will be THE BOMB, but it will also replace the one I have now, so I'll still be at one).

I have 3 uke's. A soprano, concert and Tenor. The soprano is really for my son, but he's a little small for it right now. I never really play it. The concert I've been using for traveling, as a beater and my wife is learning to play on it. The Tenor is the main one I play all the time. As of now I have one nicer Tenor coming to me on order. So I'll have 4 ukes in the house and that will be it for awhile. ...at least until MoBettah goes through his list. Then there will be five. I'll probably sell one at that point since I really don't need five ukes in the house.

I think it's great Lexxy and wish I was at that place too. I am rapidly narrowing down, selling off, refining - call it what you will - my collection and am down to under 10. For the last month I've pretty much been playing one exclusively and am loving it .I can see myself selling off a few more yet. Like Stan said, playing just one really brings a close bond and knowledge of the instrument that can only serve to improve your playing in the long run.

I tend to be pretty monogamous when it comes to ukes. Right now I'm at one and I am so happy with it. Back in the day, I also started with one, a Lanikai soprano. I memorized everything about that uke, and knew its quirks. I'm only starting to feel that with the uke I currently have. I don't think it's good or bad to have one uke or to have several. Preferences are different among people and they're totally justified. Some people want at least two so that they can get different sounds out of each, or mix things up every once in a while. Other people are collectors and tend to accumulate a lot of one thing. I never did well having several ukes. I always wanted to bond with just one, but then would feel as if I was neglecting the others. I'm a lot happier with one that I can devote all my attention to. :)

Last edited:
I like having more than one but I don't want so many that I can't play them all. I figure eventually it will be one soprano, one pineapple and one concert. Right now I have one low and one high g string concert since I can't seem to decide which concert to keep and which to sell.

I guess I'm fickle. There's a song out there that kind of explains it:

"Whatever maaaaaaaakes you happy"

If i prefer to play only ONE uke? I can't seem to be able to have a few ukes at one time.

Heck, I only have a KoAloha Concert and KoAloha Tenor, but man am i having a hard time juggling between them! I would choose one, and play it for the whole week, and then realize. Hey i left that one out..

Is it good!?!?

I'm a one uke man... ain't nothing wrong with that.

One uke has monopolized my time for the last 16 years. I'm starting to mess with my tiple and my K-Wave more the last month or two just to justify continuing to own them. Now that I've put on a low G, the K-Wave will probably replace my Fluke as my travel uke.

I can see very valid musical reasons to have multiple ukes. Right now I play a low G 12 fret tenor. I want a long scale Bb tenor with a low F. I want a low G 14 fret concert. I want a high G 14 fret concert. I want a D soprano. And of course, I have to build them for myself... And then?

Well, I might get away doing the major work my late '20s Martin Style 2 soprano needs, but...that only takes care of one...

I have to stop giving ukes to my kid...that's the ticket!

Top Bottom