Girls Just Want To Have Cheese!

attachment.php

Check out that un-clownworthy hairstyle! That clown is such a joke, it's not even funny! Get out of the circus now and open a pet store, you too sensitive clown! Calvin would eat this guy for a mid-morning snack.

My clown has no cheese. Sad face.

Is that YogaJenn? Very fun video. It looks like so much fun at the UWC.

Aloha Jenny, Kenny and the Captains..
I Used to like Cyndi Lauper alot..nice Job..cheese eh??? Hmmm Smiles!!!

Yes, that is YogaJen, with her reputation now in tatters !!!!
Or alternately, the discovery of a new and exciting aspect of herself.
Tell you one thing - I always wanted a band, I was always toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shy.
Now, for what it is worth (!!!) I've got me a band. We meet in person once a year - at UWC - but there's always ... the internet ;)
Watch this space !

Heh, heh. Having just met you at this year's UWC it's a bit difficult imagining you as shy... :)

John

Heh, heh. Having just met you at this year's UWC it's a bit difficult imagining you as shy... :)

John

Aloha John! Great to hear from you. I can't resist sharing a little of my story, 'cause it happens over and over again that folks see who I am now, and can't imagine that I was once a very different gal. Feel free to read or not.
I know it is hard to imagine a person as they once were, especially if they have changed greatly as I have. From an early age my shyness was extreme, along with being generally fearful about life, including trying different foods - I was veeeeeery limited. When I was 4 the doctors suggested my parents send me to elocution to help me become less fearful. Well I went to elocution for 9 years, I learnt a lot of poems and recited them. I don't regret that - it was probably the way that sounds, rhythms, rhymes and the music and beauty of language were installed into my body-mind. But socially I remained as timid as ever, and still restricted in my choice of foods. As astonishing as it may seem, I had my first banana in my 20s, though plenty of folks tried to get me to try them along the way. I must have been an absolute Pain!!! I have had a lot of issues, inner challenges, to contend with in my life journey. (like who hasn't!!!) Thankfully I have been blessed with a stubborn streak, a strong drive to overcome problems, to resolve limitations, and a willingness to put my hand up and get help. So I have made use of many diverse methods to change myself, to re-wire the circuitry. I had many food-related neuroses, now I don't. I was shy, now I am anything but! I was totally dependant personality, now I'm the opposite. I was addicted to perfection, now I'm difanitley (little joke!) not. In my early 20s I had to withdraw from the Degree in Education I was doing - because I was petrified of standing in front of a classroom, there was nooo waaaay on earth I get step into that role. It was very frustrating and depressing - having the talent to do all sorts of things but with crippling fear that blocked it all. Later I returned to uni and did a degree in psychology with a view to trying to understand better the stuff I was going through. To cut a long story short, along the way I have immersed myself in all kinds of things (such as 3 years of public speaking group) with a view to finding answers. I made a lot of progress, I became a pretty sociable and happy human being, outgoing even. I loved singing, playing guitar, making music, and I could go on stage so long as I was part of a group, a choir etc. In 2000 the opportunity came along to train as a yoga teacher. This was wonderful, very healing because I could at last become that Teacher out in front of a group. It wasnt easy, I always felt a wave of nausea on the way to class, but not any more, not at all at all, I LOVE teaching! 3 years ago I did a beginners' uke workshop. From the first moment it was the beginning of something extraordinary, I was in love! I threw myself into everything ukey, I just couldn't get enough. I joined every club, and I moved mountains to be with others singing and strumming. Still, on my back was the big fear of The Limelight - an aversion to being out front. The words Open Mic were very unpalatable to me, anxiety producing - I would stage a quiet exit. And then, dadadadaaaahhh - Ukulele World Congress 2010. I fought with myself the whole time about getting up on that stage. In the end it was my friends in the Flea Bitten Dawgs who gave me the push I needed, and on the Saturday I wrote down my name on the Open Mic sheet. The FBDs sat me down at their tent & got me to play them some songs. They then took a vote on what I would sing. Then we practiced them a few times, they lent me a big black pen to write a cheatsheet. And then they came on stage with me, giving me that little bit of support that I still felt the need of. Thanks to 10 years of yoga teaching I was able to stay calm, even though within I was still pretty uncomfortable. Well, that was a year ago, & what a year that has been!!! Things have changed dramatically. I owe so much to the UWC (and the Flea Bitten Dawgs) for that opportunity to step forward & in such a supportive environment face that final inner demon. My life goal now with whatever time remains for me is to become the musician that I could never become whilst I was gagged by shyness. For each one of us, it takes what it takes - for me, at age 59, it has taken a lifetime of experiences to bring me to this point. It would have been nice to have gotten here sooner, to have gone without all that inner mayhem, but hey, it's what makes me me - no regrets, non, je ne regrette rien ! And yes, I understand that it is impossible for anyone seeing me now to imagine what it has been like getting to this point. But one thing you do see, is a me that is brimming over with the kind of pure joy that rises up when you know in your heart that you outgrown your limitations. The freedom to be me is something I have struggled for and I do not take it forgranted for one moment. But I am just so grateful now for the chance to share the music and the joy that is in my heart :)

I thank you for doing what you do! The world needs more people like you. Thanks for letting it all out. I like bananas now, too. Maybe we can change the world. Music, make the world dance/

I thank you for doing what you do! The world needs more people like you. Thanks for letting it all out. I like bananas now, too. Maybe we can change the world. Music, make the world dance/

Thank you for those kind words.
I share my story so that perhaps others who struggle with their own inner demons, whatever particular form they take, may find encouragement, may find hope, that all is not lost. My firm belief is that while there is life there is hope. We are not blocks of cement, we are livng breathing human beings with so much potential, and a lot of that potential is to grow, change, make progress and rise up like Phoenix from the ashes. Yes, each one of us can change ourselves - it isn't necessarily easy but it is truly possible, and in changing ourselves we do change the world :)
PS Yes, I love bananas and yoghurt and mushrooms and lentils and olives and tomatoes and just about every kind of vegetable - all things that I refused point blank to try before i was in my adult years. Oh, and cheese ;)

Is that the same 'shy girl' who earlier this year was leading a tram full of university students in a ACDC song and having so much fun she missed her stop?

Is that the same 'shy girl' who earlier this year was leading a tram full of university students in a ACDC song and having so much fun she missed her stop?

Yep, that same shy gal. It's pretty amazing eh Steve. I've come a loooooong way as they say. It's a worry - what next? I mean, with an ukulele in my arms, the sky is the limit! And the Blue Mugs have a bit to answer for in this regard !

You are my role model.... I do a pretty good YogaJenn version of Sing and Bring Me Sunshine!!!!

Jenny, did you set up the JennyandtheCaptains screen name, or was it another troublemaking Aussie? I suspect the latter.

Jenny, did you set up the JennyandtheCaptains screen name, or was it another troublemaking Aussie? I suspect the latter.

You know the answer to that Captain Jas - I don't set up nuttin'. I just strum and sing, and then discover when I'm not looking I've acquired a band, a YT channel and a UU profile ... I'm just waiting for the fortune and fame to follow :)

Top Bottom