What is a "Super Tenor" uke

Howie1947

Reaction score
Could someone explain the difference between a regular tenor and super tenor? I notice that Kanilea makes a ST............

I believe a super tenor is a tenor body with a baritone neck.

Like a super soprano or super concert.

Actually I think Kanilea's super tenor is just a big bodied tenor. It has a standard tenor neck. I've seen them before and the bottom part (is it called the lower bout?) is pretty wide.

It is a tenor that can leap tall buildings and is faster than a freight train.

I imagine different brands may have different specs. Since the trend seems to be putting the next size neck on a body, I would assume the most common "super" would be a tenor body and a baritone neck.
Several brands have super concerts (concert body/tenor neck), but the sopranos with a concert neck seem to be commonly referred to as a long neck soprano.

The only way to know what a super is to a brand, is ask what the scale length is.

The only super tenor I know of is like misterpk said - Kanile'a makes a super tenor with a large body but standard neck. The lower bout is really wide - to me it's kind of goofy looking, but it's about the sound, not the looks, right?

dst_reg_front.jpg

:agree:
It is confusing since they use the term "Super Concert" for a tenor neck on a concert body. But the "Super Tenor" is a large bodied tenor with a tenor neck. I think they need to come up with a less confusing name, since the term "Super" is currently used for long neck instruments from several different companies. Something like WB (wide body), XL (extra large), or Grandé would be more descriptive.
–Lori

Below is a Super Tenor, and they are astonishingly good sounding ukes. Plus if you play standing up its a lot easier to tuck under your arm to brace for fingerpicking. Plus better bass, plus better tone. ?Looks goofy I know but gosh darn it the tone is worth it.

100_2096.jpg

Actually I think Kanilea's super tenor is just a big bodied tenor. It has a standard tenor neck. I've seen them before and the bottom part (is it called the lower bout?) is pretty wide.

Hmm, so I've been Super all this time without knowing it. Although I'm really more of a baritone.

:D

Below is a Super Tenor, and they are astonishingly good sounding ukes. Plus if you play standing up its a lot easier to tuck under your arm to brace for fingerpicking. Plus better bass, plus better tone. ?Looks goofy I know but gosh darn it the tone is worth it.

100_2096.jpg

Beautiful ukes.. Is the one with the slot head a Kanile'a?

Nice pair of Uke's. The Kanile'a Super Tenor has a rich warm tone and great projection. The uke's are Tenor length with a Baritone bout. Only draw back is that there is no hard case made for this uke, you need to use a Baritone case in order to fit the body of the Uke.

The only super tenor I know of is like misterpk said - Kanile'a makes a super tenor with a large body but standard neck. The lower bout is really wide - to me it's kind of goofy looking, but it's about the sound, not the looks, right?

dst_reg_front.jpg

Hmmm, looks like a shrunken Taylor jumbo guitar... I used to have one of those and I called it my Martin killer. Two of us had them and we could drown out an upright piano when we'd both get after it... :)

John

Super tenor by kanile'a is a standard tenor neck combine with a kind of tenor body except that it has a bigger at the lower bout. And as weird it it may look, it's a super stable uke to hold and plays very well. One other thing is that it it surprisently light!!!

As for the sound, I think it's one if not the best ''production'' uke out there. It sounds simply amazing!! It is such a hi-fi kind of sound.

Kanile'a also use the same body for their Guitarlele GL6....which also sound fantastic...

I own both and testify that even with their weird look, they are winner sound wise and playability.

dst_reg_front.jpg

Proportionally, the body looks like a 00 sized guitar.

Top Bottom