Ukulele Vindication

OldePhart

Reaction score
So, after UWC I spent a week with friends in MO. My friend plays lead guitar in the worship band at his church and asked me to sit in last Sunday. So I did, using my Mainland mango tenor with the MiSi pickup and a cheap little Danelectro nifty-fifty amp that I've converted to run off a pair of gel cell batteries.

Of course, I got all the good natured ribbing (tiny guitar, can you do "Tiptoe through the Tulips," etc.). However, after service they were all asking if I was going to be around next week so I could sit in again. :) (Those of you who were at UWC know this is not because of my prowess on the uke.)

Anyway, I think they were all pretty amazed to discover that the uke fills a really important niche to fill in the top end in their guitar heavy (no keyboard player) band.

It was also a treat for me because I usually play bass in the worship band at my own church and rarely get to play uke there.

John

Everyone seems to poke fun till they hear it!

Love hearing of Uke success stories...you showed'em. Wish I could have heard you.
Congrats.

Nice going! It sounds pretty fun.

Great to hear!! My wife and I always discuss if a song would sound better w/ uke at church...Maybe I should volunteer

Guess you showed them Nay sayers and converted them...to believers of the almighty UKE.....

Great story, the uke conquers all. And don't put your playing down, you make that thing sing.
Don

Man, you got me all jealous. My church has never had a uke up on the stage.

Top Bottom