Last night.

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Went to a bluegrass jam last night and I usually take my mando and uke. Anyway, I just took the uke because I knew there would be enough mandolins and banjos. It got to be my turn to sing a couple songs so they all razzed me a bit for the uke until I cranked out folsom prison blues. They loved it! Then I played "who's sorry now" and only one guy on the guitar and the bass player could follow me. I think all those folks knew that song and I know they all liked it because I could see them singing with me. It was a change up from country and bluegrass but it was good. What was very exciting was when they ask me afterwards if it is hard to learn and where to get one! Just wanted to share! Thanks for reading!

Wow, what a great feeling you must have experienced. Congratulations. A new milestone for both you and your uke. You showed'em! Wish I could have been there to cheer for you. I have imagined doing something like that with one of Tom Guy's maple Bluegrass Ukes....but I know I can't play as well as you.....but I can dream!

I am sure you play well I just resort to "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with...... :) "

Good work. Spread the uke love! So glad you could educate them about the possibilities of the ukulele!

–Lori

Aloha Rem50,
thanks for spreading the ukulele love around and the nice story...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

It got to be my turn to sing a couple songs so they all razzed me a bit for the uke until I cranked out folsom prison blues.

Most people need an education. Many are dismissive of the uke because it "only" has four strings. Which is strange, because the last time I was at a philharmonic event, no one was putting down any of the four string instruments found there...

I have to say that the reason I love the uke so much is its versatility. I have never found an instrument that "I" could play so many different genres of music on. I have been learning "Brown eyed girl" in F the last couple days and even my 24 year old daughter likes it! Ha!

I was amazed at the number of ukuleles this year at the "Topanga Banjo & Fiddle Contest".
I took a guitar, but next year my new Firefly banjo uke is going.

Yes some folks don't know how cool the uke is. Thanks for sharing it's awesomeness with some of your crowd!

Top Bottom